Please help me with my team setup.

#1andybenzPosted 12/3/2012 7:44:34 PM
Hello, this is my first play through of the game. I got a ps vita just for this game. I am a big fan of the Ogre Battle series.

I am in the begging of chapter 4 atm on the Law route

I have my main Denim, the knight Voltaire Xapan the Bezerker and a generic terror knight all having hammers, I crafted the best possible hammers available.

All my other toons I made into archers- Sara, Canopus, Ravness and guildess(spelling) the white-knight all with bows.

I love my archers but my tanks are boring. But the only stone weapons are hammers. Any suggestions?

I want a strong weapon that will do a lot of damage.... But not sure if I should switch from all hammer tanks.

Thanks

Also can someone briefly explain WORLD?

Also whats so special about ninjas? And dagger users? I want a tank to do a lot of damage so that's why I went with hammers, but I was a little diversity. Are ninja double sword weilders? I would want a sword user but all the swords are so much more weaker compared to the available hammers

What about a wizard, they seem kind of weak...

Thanks for the advice and help

-Andy
---
Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me. John 14:6
#2terran3999999Posted 12/3/2012 8:25:04 PM
Wow, you're team is so boring....just saying.

Well, just to let you know depending on your skill levels and class levels switching might end up hurting you a lot unless you're willing to spend some time to catch up on them.
Switching weapon types might end up gimping your damage depending on your weapon level, your weapon level determines your accuracy and more importantly your damage.
Ex: You already have Rank 6+ Hammer, suddenly deciding to just switch to a different weapon type will severely handicap your damage output unless you're willing to spend time to raise it to a more reasonable Rank.

The same exact rule applies to classes. Though for special classes you're going to need to grit your teeth and grind them up if you want to use their awesome powers.

Way Of Redoing Life Decisions(World), is a mechanic that unlocks after you beaten the game once. It lets you basically jump around the timelines slightly restricted by Anchor Points.

Really? Ninja are ubersauce, most of the time. In TO their no different, Double Attack is a very powerful midgame ability and they can tank like nuts with Steelstance and Ninjitsu gives them downright absurd utility.
To be more precise about Double Attack, it lets you attack once with each 1H melee weapon you have equipped. Remember, all of the classes can "dual wield", its just going to be useless since they don't have access to Double Attack. There are also a few other classes that can abuse this powerful ability: Lord, Knight Commander, Buccaneer and Ranger.(a waste on him IMO, Ranger are better off as a Bow user)

Daggers are considered broken because they get BOTH strength AND dexterity bonus plus there really light weight too. It's kinda silly what they were thinking of when they made daggers that powerful.

1H Swords are pretty meh so I wouldn't bother with it unless you're going for thematic purposes.

During endgame and if you have been properly training your units, magic does trump physical attack though they due suffer a bit during midgame.
Wizards are pretty meh, you want to upgrade to a Witch/Warlock ASAP even then their kinda meh. Aside from the Rune Fencer/Valkyrie the best casters are usually unique classes: Lord, Princess, Wicce, Shamans and Astromancer.
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.
#3andybenz(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 8:51:39 PM
Any special way to re level up weapon skills quickly?

Any other weapon types you suggest?

If I go with a dagger what class with it? and a ninja has to weild their ninja blades?
---
Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me. John 14:6
#4terran3999999Posted 12/3/2012 9:39:26 PM
Come on, just search around a little bit. There's a FAQ for that by coin.

You really shouldn't pick a class only based on the weapon they can use and you have to keep in mind the level of the class too. Unlike most SRPG classes in this game can equip different items, either use the game to check or look at the Class FAQ for details.

The weapon types that I like are:
-daggers
-hammers, monsters resist Crushing damage less
-Bows and Crossbows, ranged combat is just overpowered in this game
-1H Katana, fairly balanced and powerful

Yes, a Ninja should focus on 1H Katana, their Dagger selection is heavily restricted.
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.
#5beatumdownPosted 12/4/2012 8:18:45 AM
Wizard and and pure caster for that part are extremely effective in the game. Particularly against opponents with tough defense like "Dragons, Beasts, and Golems".

Yeah you have "Dragoons" that specialize and are effective at killing "Dragons and Beasts" however "Golem" have no class that can easily deal with them except casters. Yeah you have the "Warlocks/Witch's" skill called "Golem's Bane" but it sucks beyond a reasonable doubt. Heck are "Bane" skill are absolutely worthless so don't bother with them.

A standard magic setup should be like this:
Equipped Magic + Augment + Spellcraft I-IV+ maybe "Spirit of Stars or Hermit Tarot" = max possible damage. This formula is in addition to the gear you will be wearing to max out "INT" and "MND"

You should have a caster in your battles at all times ....... you just should. LoL

Try not to change his/her element specialty to much. Pick one or two (no more than two) and build up the augment skill for long term.
---
{{If you "Act" up, then you must get "Jacked" up!}}
#6hauntbotPosted 12/4/2012 8:34:32 AM(edited)
first off, if you arent already using vyce i would start to. same with jeunan. you should be getting another very good unique character in just a few story battles- hobyrim. i would also not really invest much effort in maintaining or retraining xapan and voltaire. in the longrun they arent that great.

all weapons scale damage with strength and dex. daggers have like double dex scaling compared to other weapons though, which is what makes them crazy. they still do terrible damage against monsters, which is what hammers are good for. however damage types become less of an issue the further into the game you get.

in general daggers are good on rogues, or on vyce in his ranger class, or on lord or buccaneer which you dont have yet. berserker can use them but a hammer is much better for utilizing sanguine assault which you may or may not have. they can be goodish on ninjas, though katana are better options if youre training the unit for long term ninja employment.

spears are quite good when used on a strong unit who has trained in them. their damage is abysmal on weak untrained units though. with how far you are in the game ravness as a valkyrie is probably the only unit worth going this route with and even she wont do great damage.

fists have some very good high level finishers and weapons. they arent very good at first but training with them pays off. theyre a great weapon for berserkers.

greatswords are decentish on terror knight. hammer also has a lot of advantages though, so this is more something just to mention for variety. if youve already trained up hammers to level 2 or higher you might want to stick with them. imo terror knight is a class best suited for uniques. you need high mind and int to be a good caster and theyre the slowest class in the game so the improved rt helps considerably. jeunan gildas and mirdyn could all make a decent terror knight, especially mirdyn.

coineagh has a "skill improvement faq" in the faqs section. its more of a skill autoleveling faq, but if youre looking to train skills with little tedium thats the way to do it. it still takes time but you can do other things while you let you minions do their thing.
---
if youre 100% christian and proud put this in your sig
jesus gave humanity the golden rule for a reason. amen :)
#7hauntbotPosted 12/4/2012 8:32:55 AM
beatumdown posted...
Wizard and and pure caster for that part are extremely effective in the game. Particularly against opponents with tough defense like "Dragons, Beasts, and Golems".

Yeah you have "Dragoons" that specialize and are effective at killing "Dragons and Beasts" however "Golem" have no class that can easily deal with them except casters. Yeah you have the "Warlocks/Witch's" skill called "Golem's Bane" but it sucks beyond a reasonable doubt. Heck are "Bane" skill are absolutely worthless so don't bother with them.

A standard magic setup should be like this:
Equipped Magic + Augment + Spellcraft I-IV+ maybe "Spirit of Stars or Hermit Tarot" = max possible damage. This formula is in addition to the gear you will be wearing to max out "INT" and "MND"

You should have a caster in your battles at all times ....... you just should. LoL

Try not to change his/her element specialty to much. Pick one or two (no more than two) and build up the augment skill for long term.

eh baldur gear has already come into play and he hasnt been training a wizard from the start. hes also not too far off from sherri. i dont think training up a wizard from scratch at the point hes at is very practical.
---
#8hauntbotPosted 12/4/2012 8:51:47 AM
my bad it looks like you should already have hobyrim. hes a great candidate for ninja or rogue if youre just about to dip your toes into those classes.
---
#9andybenz(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 9:19:45 AM
I have vice, habyorm, and all the others you mentioned.

This is my first play through of the PSP version.

In the original the only useful people were the ones with highest dex and str...

I want 10 of the strongest people. I have 6 archers and 4 tanks. All the tanks have hammers. I want to make some diversity to the team.

I want to make a ninja or two considering making a dagger or spear
Unit also.

Thanks for the advice I am excited to change my team
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#10andybenz(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 9:40:02 AM
Also the skills I am using are all the same for all my guys.

Counter attack
Sure strike(?)
Strengthen
Fortify
Weapon skill - hammer/now
Trajectory for bows
Knock back
And I think others like that...

Thanks again
- Andy
---
- Saved By Jesus -