Should I get the PSP or the PS version

#1BrokenNeko420Posted 7/27/2013 9:10:59 PM
I never played this game before, but since FFT is my favorite game of all time, and I heard this not only inspired it but was made by the same people, I figured I should get it. My only problem is I don't know whether to get the PS or PSP version, and after looking into it I see there is a lot of changes.

Now my main dilemma is I don't own a PSP, but I want one so I can get the FFT for it. I already played and demolished war of the lions when I borrowed it from a friend, and now own it on my iPhone; however, I realized the iPhone version will go by the wayside when I get a new phone. So I want a PSP for FFT as well, I actually want 2 PSP's and FFT for it so I can play the multiplayer battles with myself.

So, should I just buy the PSP and this version, so I'm closer to my dream of playing the epic battles of FFT multiplayer, or is the PS version of tactics ogre the better way to go? As a side note buying the PSP and tactics ogre for it is only about $40 or $50 more than getting the PS version off ebay.
#2AlmasNo1FanPosted 7/27/2013 9:29:33 PM
If you have a PS3 and Wifi you can play WotL with anyone in the world!

If you're set on the PSP for WotL, you might as well get the PSP version -- it seems more "cleaned up" than the PS version.
---
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab307/yeahthatboy/gamefaqsqueens.png
By: ilikeikeilikeik
#3judge-salPosted 7/27/2013 9:33:34 PM
I never played the PS version, but I got the feeling after reading many many threads that the PSP version is better. Better dialogue/translation and all new dialogue, better/new characters, new story and content, new classes.

I think the only problems with the PSP version is the leveling system, class system, and stats.

Of course, like I said, I never played the PS version so I may just be spouting off nonsense. Wait for other opinions.

Although, for me, I'd rather have mobile games instead of one where I have to sit around. Quite often I'm on the move, or I just like to be in different places of my house. So the PSP versions of FFT and TO are more practical for me.

Of course why not get both versions? Might as well experience both! (:
#4BrokenNeko420(Topic Creator)Posted 7/27/2013 9:46:10 PM
I have a PS3 and wifi, but I was under the impression that barely anyone played WOTL multiplayer anymore. I'm probably going to go with the PSP version anyway, and if I really like it get the original.

I absolutely love strategy games, but wasn't blown away by the FFT advance series, albeit I only played the first one. I made it to the final boss and gave up for some reason. I think I disliked the kiddie nature, as tactics had my favorite video game storyline. I hear the storyline for this one is just as good.

My friend thinks I'm a dumbass because I just spent $125 on xenoblade, and am now spending all this on tactics ogre. Lol. I love me some RPG's especially with a good story.
#5AlmasNo1FanPosted 7/27/2013 9:56:30 PM
BrokenNeko420 posted...
I have a PS3 and wifi, but I was under the impression that barely anyone played WOTL multiplayer anymore. I'm probably going to go with the PSP version anyway, and if I really like it get the original.

I absolutely love strategy games, but wasn't blown away by the FFT advance series, albeit I only played the first one. I made it to the final boss and gave up for some reason. I think I disliked the kiddie nature, as tactics had my favorite video game storyline. I hear the storyline for this one is just as good.

My friend thinks I'm a dumbass because I just spent $125 on xenoblade, and am now spending all this on tactics ogre. Lol. I love me some RPG's especially with a good story.

*Ahem* If I say so myself, I AM THE WOTL MULTIPLAYER GURU! Pleasure to make my acquaintance, oh and, you're welcome.

Just teasing! ;)

I can hook you up with some people to play with besides myself. School begins soon, but if you manage to get it before the end of August, I can help you.

You should probably consider the WotL board, the game is essentially the same with a few tweaks to job obtainment and the new features added. Overall, they fleshed the story with a handful of added scenes that closed questions the original left.
---
#6judge-salPosted 7/27/2013 9:58:15 PM
TO story is pretty great. Although Law seems to be the only route that the creators cared about. I played all 3 routes multiple times and Chaos and Neutral still fail to blow me away as much as Law did.

Chaos and Neutral just have too many filler events and sidequests, and the actual main story events just feel thrown together, whereas Law strings everything together nicely and the story flows "correctly."

However that may just be personal opinion. You'll have to decide for yourself which route is the best.
#7BrokenNeko420(Topic Creator)Posted 7/27/2013 10:09:39 PM
Well I'm definitely getting the PSP version and WOTL with it. I'm probably going to have to put more money on my Paypal, so I doubt I get the PSP and WOTL before the 2nd week of August, but I'll get in touch with you Almas#1fan.

Thanks for all the advice guys, you've been a great help.
#8AlmasNo1FanPosted 7/28/2013 4:51:47 AM
BrokenNeko420 posted...
Well I'm definitely getting the PSP version and WOTL with it. I'm probably going to have to put more money on my Paypal, so I doubt I get the PSP and WOTL before the 2nd week of August, but I'll get in touch with you Almas#1fan.

Thanks for all the advice guys, you've been a great help.

I am sure we will be able to play, nevertheless! I, admittedly, like playing the game in long sessions due the main point of the multiplayer is to collect the rare items that have an unforgiving RNG process.

If you do not mind playing for short sessions, however, it will work out fine! Also, I can hook you up with all the players on my friend list. :)

It makes me so happy to see someone excited for WotL multiplayer. Sooo happy. ;____;
---
#9thinkingofwarPosted 7/28/2013 6:43:47 AM
Apparently, the Super Famicom version is the superior one.
---
"Let me tell you what's hard; Breakin' the cycle that got our sons and brothers fillin' up the prison yards." Talib Kweli
#10SirRegulusPosted 7/28/2013 8:21:42 AM(edited)
I wouldn't really say that. It's better in a lot of ways, but it falls short in others. The class balance is actually a bit better, but bows are still the best weapon type, and boosting your agility stat with Ninja levels is pretty much a game breaker. Same goes for Luck tarots. It's also significantly shorter, having no real post game content. And the bonus stuff that is there isn't really as developed; 80% of the floors of the Palace of the Dead, for example, are featureless square rooms (the shop floor layout in the remake, minus the vendor, is actually that specific map), and you have to complete all 100 floors.

The relative brevity of the game may be a positive, though. It doesn't really devolve into inanity in the same way that the remake does, because you have to start over from scratch to take another route, and your class options change significantly based on your alignment.