I've never played a Phantom Brave game before, and just watched a trailer for this on youtube.
How big of a difference is there from Disgaea? (I saw there was character creation, throwing, stacking, lv. 9999, etc.)
I'm definitely picking it up either way, because I love NIS and I love SRPG's, just trying to get a grasp on how thrown off i'll be going into a new series. --- "yes hd text does look different as its sharper, less blurry, and easier on the eyes." ~Elemental_Mage1
Characters get titles upon creation that makes them better or worse depending on the title. (i.e Failure lowers all stats by 80% I believe and Great! raises everything by 20%)
Movement and attacks are not grid-based.
You can fuse weapons and units together to create better weapons and units.
Your weapons can be stolen. It's probably permanent if you leave the floor without killing the enemy that's holding it or stealing it back.
There is no armor, just weapons. But you can raise DEF and RES so they're like armor.
Units can only stay on the field for a certain amount of time, except Marona she can stay on forever.
Phantom Brave is a really good game. I wouldn't say it's as good as Disgaea, but still really good.
 Forgot to mention you can kill people with fishies. Killing them with fish is way more fun than killing them with a Yoshitsuna. --- Lesson 5: 90% of men are attracted to men. Lesson 6: The other 10% haven't met Wallace Wells yet. [SS Friend: 36103252 4970]
i like phantom brave more than disgaea, but that might be because phantom brave was my first NIS game that drew me into the others.
Both are great games. If you enjoyed one, there is little to no chance you will not enjoy the other. --- Marvel Vs Capcom 3 has the worst roster a marvel AND a capcom fan could ask for. DLC will not convince me otherwise.
i too enjoy PB more than any other NIS game, largely because it is so madcap and freeform. The departure from the grid system is not just geographic, but philosophical. the wide variety of characters, items and skills, the many styles of battle, the insane animations you can create by transfering skills, all of these combine to make a freeform gaming extravaganza that takes my breath away. --- Current Games: PSP - Hexyz Force; ZHP; Disgaea Infinite-----DS:Rune Factory 3; Zenoia Cannot Wait For:Phantom Brave:Heroes of the Hermuda Triangle & DQ6
How's the movement in the game? Is it where "up = up", or "left = up"?
I'm playing Z.H.P. right now, and just saw I could change it around.. if it's up = up, then I need to get used to playing that way again.. --- "yes hd text does look different as its sharper, less blurry, and easier on the eyes." ~Elemental_Mage1
Crap. That's really going to screw with me.. oh well, I'll get used to it.
Not really, since there's no grid it doesn't even feel similar to the Disgaea/ZHP style of play so I know what you're talking about since I play that way in D1-3 as well, but it never messed me up at all. --- Current mood: =)
What is meant by no grid is that you can move around in any direction you desire, all 360 degrees allowed. This is the thing which makes me prefer Phantom Brave over Disgaea, but then again Phantom Brave was my first NIS game, so I might be biased.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hve7e6TfIdU&feature=related Check out this video, since i'm poor at explaining things. It is a video of going through a random dungeon, should be spoiler-free. --- I'm a damn good liar. If i told you i never lie you would beleive me. - me
It's a lot more fun watching/cusotmizing your characters growth in PB. I love Disgaea but love PB more.
Plus, I don't think there's really an end to maxing out your weapon's potential in PB or at least it takes a really long time. --- Only those you trust can ever betray you. MSNemail@example.com, PSN - Sliphatos.