Sound Issues

#1ioteh_shingoPosted 3/14/2012 10:33:01 AM
OK so I finished ME3 and now got into SfxT's online. This is so damn annoying!! Takes me off my game, sound is really important in fighting games. So much crap happens on screen that without sound I get lost if i'm actually hitting someone or being blocked and vice versa.

P.S. How come there are no sound issues in spectator mode?
---
GT: ioteh shingo
SSF4: Adon, Abel, Dudley
#2Xiahou MaoPosted 3/14/2012 10:50:58 AM
In most online fighting games, there's latency involved, where you push the button and the move doesn't register for several milliseconds because it's being transmitted to the other player. This lag can be minor and tolerable (SF4) or crippling (Soul Calibur 4).

SFxT seems to be trying a different system, where your button presses occur automatically and the effects of them are then transferred to your opponent's screen, with anything that would 'retcon' the button presses doing so. I've seen, for example, a time where it looked like I grabbed an opponent for a Spinning Piledriver and it started to zoom in for the throw animation, but the opponent actually jumped away in time and the throw was cancelled. Doing it like this removes the need to do your moves 'early', but it leads to occasional choppiness in cases where there's more latency between you and your opponent.

I think it also causes the sound problems. Most characters let out their attack cry when they start their attack, but if your console isn't registering that they've started an attack until several frames later when the attack 'catches up' to you, that initial cry doesn't happen because they're skipping into their attack mid animation.

I can see why they've set things up like this, and it does make for a generally smooth playing experience with only a handful of issues. I'm not sure how they can change the sound to work properly with that, other than slowing down the attack cries or finding some way to jump into the middle of them (which might lead to some "doken" fireball cries instead of "Hadoken", and could be just as distracting).
---
Xiahou Mao, True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
#3Xiahou MaoPosted 3/14/2012 10:51:53 AM
To add to the above, there would be no sound issues in spectator mode because you'd be watching the game on a slight delay, ensuring that you're seeing everyone's inputs as they occured at the same time.
---
#4wheeltrainPosted 3/14/2012 10:53:31 AM
Xiahou Mao posted...
This lag can be minor and tolerable (SF4) or crippling (Soul Calibur 4).

wha... whaaaaat? Soul Caliber is widely considered to have one of the best online systems currently and SF4 is widely considered to have the worst... Is it opposite day?
---
360 & PsN ID: wheeltrain
#5Xiahou MaoPosted 3/14/2012 10:56:21 AM
Re-read my post. Soul Calibur 4. Not Soul Calibur 5.

Soul Calibur 5 has an awesome online system. I'm not sure where you say that SF4 is "widely considered to have the worst", either. I certainly didn't have problems with it! Soul Calibur 5 is probably a bit better than it still, but I wanted to use a game more people had played as an example.
---
#6ioteh_shingo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2012 10:57:33 AM
They should've left it like SSF4, cause chopiness (aka mild teleporting) and sound clipping is a MAJOR issue compared to other games.
---
#7wheeltrainPosted 3/14/2012 10:58:11 AM
oh you do say 4. And i dunno about SF online, I havent played since vanilla. This is just what ive heard from watching competitive gaming on youtube.
---
360 & PsN ID: wheeltrain
#8BarocratesPosted 3/14/2012 10:58:29 AM
wha... whaaaaat? Soul Caliber is widely considered to have one of the best online systems currently and SF4 is widely considered to have the worst... Is it opposite day?

SF4 has never been considered to have the worst online latency by anyone except people who have played SF4 and only SF4.
---
You have a point, but sex feels good. Being gored and eaten doesn't (not that I know from personal experience, but I've heard stories) -JonnyBigBoss
#9ioteh_shingo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2012 11:21:13 AM
In SF4 the occasional lag spike cause slowdown and input delay, which can actually be worked with with a little timing adjustment. In SFxT the sound issue throws you off and the clipping and frame skipping is game breaking as there is no way to work around it mid battle. So this is a way bigger issue than SF4.
---
#10King_of_donkeysPosted 3/14/2012 1:58:07 PM
Yeah I am really hating this sound issue. It actually puts me off playing the game, like I'm playing some buggy pre-release version. It's kinda like trying to play a PC game your PC can't handle, and putting up with FPS slowdown. I just don't like it at all.
---
Latif confirmed for beastslayer, machine dismantler, godkiller, legend, and The Man.
GT: Icy J 101 ----- http://steamcommunity.com/id/theicy