Is fighting considered as niche genre?

#11xtacbPosted 5/1/2012 8:14:33 PM
CKnight posted...
At this point I would say no. A number of fighters sell over a million with ease and like any other genre you have games like Arcana Hearts, KOF and such that are niche.

Fighting games probly have the biggest tourney scene of any genre as well.

They'll never put up COD or GTA number in sales but they do well enough.

Strategy games have a bigger tourney scene

Starcraft 1 and 2 mainly
---
WoW: Talho #11 top warrior dps on 25 Saurfang and Festergut *WorldWide* and #1 world BPC, as of 4/7/10
http://www.wowmeteronline.com/rank/clazz/dps/war/9/0/3
#12mr_brain123Posted 5/1/2012 8:52:33 PM
Well all genres have their own types of players that are not just casual. You have your

Fighter
1st person shooters
RPGs

I've noticed even though they might sometimes crossover per person, more times than not they will not
#13Chunga_WongPosted 5/1/2012 11:58:34 PM
I guess you could call it a niche genre. shooters, platformers, action-adventure games ect. can be picked up by almost anyone after learning the controls and game mechanics after a few minutes.
a fighting game has a much steeper learning curve than most genres. its something you have to commit to. sure you can have a friend over to play a few rounds. they can mash buttons and throw out random specials. but if they're not dedicated to training with their character and spending hours figuring out what works best for that character, their likely to lose intrest pretty quickly

i personally am not very good at fighting games. but i'm in love with them for the excitement of figuring out what you're capable of and the depth of gameplay. every day i learn something new about the current fighting game i'm playing. It takes a certain type of gamer to have that kind of patience and commitment to a game
#14pionearPosted 5/2/2012 8:36:37 AM

Disagree...I think strategy and FPs has a bigger 'scene' than FGs...and maybe Sports (esp Madden).

But yea, I think it is...I mean, on a whole I still think Video Gaming in general is still rather 'niche'...most ppl just see them either as time wasters (like apps/puzzle games) or a teen/kid thing. So FG is even more 'niche'. Granted, this 'niche' still have a loyal, cult-like following, but it's far from being a mainstream activity, like Poker or Sports.
#15_tanjil_Posted 5/2/2012 8:41:28 AM
pionear posted...

Disagree...I think strategy and FPs has a bigger 'scene' than FGs...and maybe Sports (esp Madden).

But yea, I think it is...I mean, on a whole I still think Video Gaming in general is still rather 'niche'...most ppl just see them either as time wasters (like apps/puzzle games) or a teen/kid thing. So FG is even more 'niche'. Granted, this 'niche' still have a loyal, cult-like following, but it's far from being a mainstream activity, like Poker or Sports.

I like this comment, topics about if a genre of video games is niche, this man calls out the entire industry.

I do agree with him 100%
#16zhaoyun99Posted 5/2/2012 8:49:27 AM
I think FPS such as Counter Strike or RTS like Star Craft 1 and 2 pull out a bigger picture than the FG tourney.
---
"Another has fallen to my spear!!!" Zhao Yun
#17haterade187Posted 5/2/2012 8:55:31 AM

Fighting games and gaming in general is pretty niche. If fighting games were easier to understand sales would be much higher.

I can't blame anyone who doesn't enoy fighters though, there's a whole lot of little things to learn if you want to compete with more than mashed uppercuts and fireballs.

#18AlexanderStrifePosted 5/2/2012 9:27:03 AM
No, but many fighters are niche games.
#19pionearPosted 5/2/2012 12:36:42 PM
I like this comment, topics about if a genre of video games is niche, this man calls out the entire industry.

I do agree with him 100%

XD, and I really don't mean that in a negative way...I absolutely luv Video Games (been playing them virtually all my life and I'm 32) and was (still kinda) a big part of the FG community. But for the general mainstream, as of now, some ppl still see them as a bit too complex to enjoy on a competitive basis. Maybe in the future, as more ppl like us who grew up on FG who continue to play will influence the younger generation to grow into a larger fraction. (Kinda like SF2 to SF4). A lot of mainstream Sports/Games eventually grown from obscure beginnings.
#20reptyle101Posted 5/2/2012 12:44:57 PM
No. Some you could ask almost anyone about and they could talk to you a little about it (SF, MK and Tekken in particular). Others are less well known but the genre as a whole is one of the most popular genres. Much of the reason being that they are designed to play against other people and hence are good to play with friends.
---
Chase the morning
Yield for nothing.