Official Tier Discussion Thread *READ OP* request sticky

#1solidoutlawPosted 5/7/2012 6:42:46 PM
Time has passed and we've gotten a decent grasp of the game and it's mechanics, and though we're still early in, we can do much more than day 1 tiers now.

To avoid constant needless debate and for better discussion, spend more time discussing characters and less time posting tier lists. The goal I hope to see if for this board to come up with a unanimous, agreed upon tier list, created from a combination of tourney results, theory fighting, in practice data, and more.

Let me repeat, DO NOT JUST POST WHAT YOU THINK IS THE TIER LIST FOR THE GAME!! If you think Bob is top tier, for example, explain why you think he's top tier and it'll be much easier to see and discuss/debate Bob's position if you mention him alone or with a few others, than if you put the entire roster there (as this will lead to people discussing the entire list as opposed to the one character you had in mind).
---
PSN: rayplay
"Wow, there's more hate in here than a K K K meeting!"
#2RemakeMePosted 5/7/2012 6:47:27 PM
S+ tier = gief. LLariot Anti Air switch canel easily for big damge so that move is even more dangerous. Can hit confirm easily off MP or standing LK, has massive damage off pokes and massive damage to launcher and high range grabs. Crouch MP stuffs Kens godlike tatsu, his footsies amazing, Zoning game nerfed not so hard to get in. Gems make him even more godleik. Corner combos = big damage. Still has some amazing tic moves. Armor on grab = good.
---
PSN=TwoCoiNs MvC3 teams - Main - Doom, Taskmaster, 2nd Tier - Haggar, Sentinel, Wesker, Tronne- 3rd tier Shehulk and Spencer.
#3DMANSLANDPosted 5/7/2012 6:51:37 PM
As far as I know, Ryu and Raven are top. Ryu is great footsies, good specials, charge cancel Hadoukens make his pressure and zoning even better. His hard and EX mule kick are safe and can combo into in the corner. Good damage, and very easy combos. Raven has very good zoning, great pressure and good normals. All he lacks is a good anti air and reversal option. So far, that is all I can say.
---
PSN: DMANSLAND
"You have a father? Bison can fix that" - M. Bison, Street Fighter x Tekken
#4solidoutlaw(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2012 7:10:27 PM
Ryu is good but I suspect he *MAY* drop down from top to high. Raven, however, is very good. He has too much health for all his options, everything he does can go into a meterless midscreen 300+ MINIMUM combo. He has one of the best zoning AND rushdown AND mixup games, he has good synergy, and more. He could be copy pasted in mvc3 and do well. Thats how good he is.
---
#5Sony_7Posted 5/7/2012 7:13:40 PM
People who don't think Ryu is high/top tier are Ryu mains themselves. Pretty much has no weaknesses and a ton of strengths. The only thing he's lacking is mid screen meterless damage but he excels at pretty much everything else however.
---
http://www.gamesprays.com/images/icons/tf2%20demoman%20spray_icon301.jpg
Wario Ware DIY FC: 1978-2715-3849
#6solidoutlaw(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2012 7:49:48 PM
Sony_7 posted...
People who don't think Ryu is high/top tier are Ryu mains themselves. Pretty much has no weaknesses and a ton of strengths. The only thing he's lacking is mid screen meterless damage but he excels at pretty much everything else however.

Ryu is mainly good because others aren't as good, but that may change.
---
#7LodripPosted 5/8/2012 7:04:00 AM
Raven is the #1 character imo. His shuriken is too good, his jab is great, his teleport is invincible from the 1- 30 frame which is stupid, and his damage potential is huge. And I think that he has no bad matchups, because he dictates the match. If you play rushdown he can turtle it out, if you're zoning he's gonna get you.
---
PSN: Lodrip | Location: Germany
Playing BBCS:EX, SFxTK, SCV, AE2012, UMK3 and 3rd Strike.
#8solidoutlaw(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2012 9:48:51 AM
Copy pasted from koga's thread asking about Jin.

Jin has an very good oki game with his stand still fireball and the ability to back dash his special step (allowing him to catch backdashes on reaction. His pokes may not be the best but they certainly work and work well. He may have a big execution requirement (which is actually not as big as some would thing), but the reward is worth it.

I'd say he's the 2nd best mishima currently (and they're all good) and high tier with top potential.
---
#9EvilSakuraiPosted 5/8/2012 10:44:54 AM
I was a Sagat/Akuma player until last night. I switched between the two to help out my Heihachi.

Then I picked up Ryu.....

Holy **** you guys, Ryu is top tier. Don't deny it. Pressure game is better, zoning game is better, better damage, better close range threat. There's literally no reason to use Akuma or Ken, and Ryu's just straight up better than Sagat at everything but Anti-Air.

Ryu will be dominant until nerfs. Mark my words.

Other characters I use:

Heihachi.... Man, I love this guy. Even when people figure him out, it doesn't matter, because his offense is THAT GOOD. Only thing that stops his offense is auto block (It stopped me from at least almost winning a round against Clacky D the other day... Damn it). If you aren't auto-blocking against Heihachi, and he gets in, you're in big trouble.

Sagat.... Other than his AMAZING Anti-Air, Sagat doesn't do nearly enough damage. Period. It feels like he's been nutered, and there's no reason to be afraid of his normals or his combos any more, since everybody else has better damage. I don't see the point in this, and he needs buffs.

Balrog.... Has potential. I'm the only one saying this, but he's not horrible. I mean sure, Tekken characters are better in nearly every way, but it doesn't mean Rog's useless. I think people are counting him out, when he's solid mid tier.

Akuma.... Damage feels low, and his life points kill him in this game. Doesn't have vortex any more, so all he's good for is his annoying Zoning game, and that his normals are easy to tag cancel from. Doesn't seem good.

Marduk.... Normals are crap, other than a few long range pokes. Only tool to open people up is command grab. Feels like this game's T. Hawk.

King.... Too hard to use on point. Grabs are slow. Combos are alright though. Overall, feels like Hakan: Fun to use, not competitive in the least.

Pac-Man,... No reason to use Pac-Man. Bottom 5 damage output. Pokes have no priority. Bottom 5 life point totals. Bottom 5 movement AND attack speed. He has no positives other than he has long range on his pokes, which have terrible hitboxes, and get stuffed by anything.

Hwoarang.... Upper mid-tier, or lower high tier. He's good, but is lacking some necessities. His major flaw is that he needs to be close to do damage, and yet his close range moves are crappy.... Lame. He feels like a rushdown character that has bad moves for rushing down, since his block strings often put him too far to be effective... Not everything is bad though, he has a great pressure game using strings and cancels, and seems to be a solid character. Oh, and Dive Kick is horrible. Period. Why put it in when it's not any good?
---
Respect the badge, he earned it with his blood.
Fear the gun, your sentence may be death because I AM THE LAW!
#10TerotrousPosted 5/8/2012 11:16:59 AM
There's literally no reason to use Akuma or Ken

Ken's DP is safe on tag because it does multiple hits. Ryu's is not.

That's not to say Ryu isn't likely better than Ken, but he's not better in every way possible.

Marduk: Normals are crap, other than a few long range pokes. Only tool to open people up is command grab. Feels like this game's T. Hawk.

Also has one of the game's most reliable anti-airs, which in this game is big.

Also, to be honest, I don't see why people think Kazuya is top. His power right now seems to mainly come from the fact that people don't know how to block his overheads, which they're going to learn eventually, and his restand glitch, which is getting patched. I just don't see the argument for him being top as being nearly as strong as Ryu and Raven.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Power Blade"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery