Review by roadkill

"An awesome rendition of the classic game of Tetris"

Tetris

Oh Tetris, since it’s debut on the NES, this game has seen seemingly endless makeovers on countless platforms. It seems that anyone you talk to has played this simple yet challenging game. The idea behind Tetris was originally conceived by Alexey Pazhitnov and Vadim Gerasimov of the former USSR.

Graphics – 10
What’s to say, it’s Tetris. You got blocks, you got your alley, what more do you need? While, the CD-I version answers that question in the form of spectacular nature scenes that display in the background. Upon completing a level, you get a new natural scene. The scenes range from giant redwood trees to deserts to beautifully animated waterfalls.
There are a total of ten different backgrounds for the ten different levels.

Sound – 10
With sound as nicely done as the graphics, this may just be the best Tetris yet. In addition to the backgrounds, each stage has an original piece composed for it. Each piece is well done and really fits the stages of difficulty well, you notice that the higher up you get in the levels, the beat slightly raises.

Control – 6
Ok, now this is really simple. The CD-I controller (default controller) only has two buttons. One is rotate and the other is drop, but it escapes me for the time-being which is which. The one thing I love about other versions of Tetris is that you can drop the blocks, and then in mid-drop, you can make it fall at regular speed again (Tetris for GameBoy has this feature). Besides that, the control is flawless.

Replay – 7
Well, if you are like me, you’ll be playing this game for endless hours for about a month then get burned out on it and not touch it for a couple of months (maybe years). For me, replay is not very high, but I know some of you out there (*cough*-Gruel-*cough*) can’t stand living without their Tetris.

Overall – 9
An awesome rendition of Tetris, perhaps even ranking up there with the best. If you have a CD-I (I stress the word “if”), this game is worth checking out, if you can find it that is.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/31/00, Updated 10/31/00