Review by Atomic Fishy

"Alcazar should stay forgotten..."

Going into this game I was very optimistic. I thought it was going to be a good game, something to keep me busy, but boy was I wrong. Oh was I so very very wrong.

Gameplay ¦4¦
Well, here's the thing, the game isn't to much fun to play. It has its strong points and weak points, but the weak points far outweigh the strong. There are 4 levels of difficulty to stir things up a bit. And then there are the controls...yeah. When you shoot your gun or use any other weapon, you have to be moving. You can't shoot while standing still. But if you want to change your weapon, you have to stand still. Some of the monsters take one shot to kill, others are near impossible. Expect to do lots of running. But don't run to fast without paying attention, there are many hazards in the castles besides near impossible enemies. There are 3 spots for weapons, may it be guns, keys, oil, you can only carry 3 things at a time. Also, monsters will follow you from room to room, but you can easily out run some of them. Just remember where they were or else you will be in for a little treat when you go back.

Story ¦1¦
Yeah...there is no story. Nothing to drive you to want to finish. You start out on this map with numerous castles on it, and make your way towards a Giant Fortress at the end. That's about it.

Audio/Video ¦6¦
Your character is a green man with a beard as far as I can tell. (He looks like a fat Link with a beard) But your beard will change color depending on what castle you are in (Blue, Red, Black, Purple). Why the castles are certain colors is beyond me, but on the inside, the walls are the same as the outside. Every room is the same, there is a door or a wall, nothing else. Expect to get lost in some of the castles because of the rooms looking the same, and the map is useless when in the castles. The audio is ok for what it is. The music is an Arabian sort of style and the sound effects are what you would expect. In the time period it was made, it would be quite good.

Replayability ¦1¦
I don't know why you would want to play it over, there is nothing to make you want to.

Length
Alcazar can be completed in a fairly short amount of time. But putting it on the highest difficulty will sure be a long time until the end.

To buy or to rent?
I don't recommend buying it, but if by some bizarre chance of luck you see it for rent, why not...its only a game.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 07/16/02, Updated 07/16/02