Review by KCKain

"I challenge you to NOT like this game"

If you've played the arcade version of Crazy Taxi then you probably either loved it or hated it. The Dreamcast version is pretty much the same. Personally, I loved it.
For those of you who are not familiar with the game then allow me to give you a brief synopsis of it. You assume the role of one of four cab drivers, your goal is to pick up and drop off as many passengers as possible within the time allotted. Sounds simple enough, but it gets better. First off, the faster you can get your customer to their destination, the more tips you earn in addition to their fare. Secondly, you can use whatever means you deem necessary in order to get your customer to their destination. This includes driving on the wrong side of the road, jumping off the top level of a parking garage, cutting through parks, driving through a subway tunnel, and best of all, smashing the fools who are stupid enough to get in your way! And finally, there are a number of “Crazy Maneuvers” you can pull off, the more maneuvers you pull off the more tips you earn. You can also string a bunch of maneuvers together to form a combo and earn even more tips.
In addition to having the same city as the coin-op to roam through, there's an extra city not found in the arcade to play in as well! Talk about more bang for your buck. Now you're probably thinking “2 cities only? Doesn't sound like much.” Well believe me, both cities are MASSIVE! You'll never end up taking the same route twice.
In addition to both the “Arcade Mode” and “Original Mode” there's also a special mode called “Crazy Box”. Basically this is just a practice mode where you can hone your driving skills to perfection.
Sounds good so far, now it's time for the complaints. My worst gripe was, brace yourself for this, slowdown! Aaarrrggghhh! You'd think that with a 128-bit system, complete with a 200MHz CPU, 26 Mb total RAM, and a 12x GD-ROM drive slowdown would be a thing of the past, but alas, there are a couple of instances where I've experienced it. Next up are the “Crazy Maneuvers”, which are some of the hardest moves I've ever tried to pull off in a video game ever. You can expect to find yourself in the “Crazy Box” mode for quite a while trying to master these moves, and this gets frustrating after some time. Then there's the issue of the game music, don't get me wrong, by no means is it bad in any way, shape, or form. The soundtrack features several songs (At least that's what the ending credits claim) by the bands “Offspring” and “Bad Religion” which makes for some pretty good driving tunes. However I've only encountered a grand total of 3 songs in this game (The ending credits list 7 tracks). Whenever I play through the game I always here the Offspring song, then the Bad Religion Song, then the exact same Offspring song again, then the exact same…well, you get the idea. Thankfully the ending features a different song by Bad Religion. This is a minor gripe however, but come on Sega, a little more variety here please. Lastly, except for their appearance, it doesn't seem that there's any difference whatsoever between each cabby. They all play alike to me.
All complaints aside though, this game still rocks. I can play for hours on end and never get tired of it. It's an absolute blast to play, pure fun, plain and simple, and that's the bottom line ‘cuz I said so.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/03/00, Updated 04/03/00