Review by jaybien

"Three words: This Game Rocks!"

Warp's 'D2' was in development for years. It was originally slated to release on Matsushita's ill-fated console the 'M2'. Well, Warp decided on Sega's Dreamcast as the platform of choice and I'm so glad they did. Read on for more...

Gameplay:
D2 combines a multitude of gameplay styles. It's part RPG(your character gains experience points), it's part first person shooter(the game's battle sequences are in the 1st person perspective), part third person action title, and even part hunting simulation. Yes I said hunting simulation!

The game's controls are average at best. They're pretty responsive, and I have no real complaints. When you're in battle and when you're hunting, the game implements a life-like shake to the gun's aim. Sure, it can be a pain when you're trying to hunt for food, but I think it's an interesting touch.

The game utilizes random enemy battles much like an RPG does. Please note that the random encounters are nowhere near as annoying as the constant battles in Skies of Arcadia. You never get tired of them.

When in battle Laura begins with a sub-machine gun. You eventually move on to various other forms of weaponry. I don't want to spoil it for you, so I won't tell you what the others are. :)

Story:
D2 has one of the most chilling science fiction/horror stories I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing. I don't want to ruin it for you D2 'newbies' out there so I'll only give you the basics:

''Laura is on an airplane, while in flight, it get's highjacked by terrorists. In the middle of the terrorist act, the plane is hit by a meteor! The plane crashes and, somehow, Laura survives...''

As you can see, you're in for quite a ride.

Audio/Video:
D2 features some of the most realistic polygonal gfx on the Dreamcast. Warp's engine meticulously creates the Canadian setting flawlessly. It's a real looker if you know what I mean :)

I applaud Sega for not only bringing D2 stateside, but for also hiring a fantastic voice cast. D2 is as good as they come in terms of voice talent. I think it's as good, if not better, than Soul Reaver and that's saying quite a bit.

In all, I think D2 is one of the best adventure games to come out for a while. Now that it has been out for a while, you can most likely find the game for $15 - $25 brand new. It's worth it. If you're a fan of deep and engrossing plots, and amazing graphics & sound then you will absolutely LOVE D2.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/10/01, Updated 05/10/01