Review by kid6mojo

"An amazing RPG even up to today"

Skies of Arcadia in my opinion is a truly engrossing RPG. This game easily compares to some of todays games of the same genre. It brought great hand-to-hand combat as well as amazing aerial battles as well. Here are some of the key points of this game.

Game play
The main source of travel in this game was by airship. The world and the dungeons were planned out nicely and however could be slightly confusing to players new to an RPG. As a matter of fact one of the only flaws in the game design was the amount of random encounters while running around dungeons or flying through the skies. However that wasn't necessarily a bad thing for those who wanted to grind for levels. Overall, I would give game play a 9 / 10.

Story
The story in Skies of Arcadia was a story slightly over used. Main antagonist and party must fight against evil powerful empire for the sake of the land. *cough*Final Fantasy 7*cough* However one major twist was the fact that two individuals were racing to find the 6 moon crystals to either 1. destroy the world or 2. Save it. The fact of not only world domination but world destruction makes you want to save the skies just that much more. All in all I give the story line another 9 / 10.

Sound / Graphics
The music in this game is almost picture perfect. It's tone captures all the emotions the characters feel throughout the game. However on the flip side the graphics weren't the best the Dreamcast could offer. However this game came in 2 discs so my guess is they wanted to stray away from a third disc. So in my own opinion the music gets a perfect 10 / 10 while the graphics get a 8 / 10.

Playability
This game plays through fairly smooth. I have played through the game at least 10 times on the original and it's remake on the Gamecube. Each file of mine clocked in between 24 hours of game play and 35 hours. So, this game is not that short but doesn't drag on forever.

So for a final recommendation I would say if you have a Dreamcast and are willing to track this game down do it. If you do get it you will thank me. Trust me it's that good of a game. However if you cannot find the Dreamcast copy and/or you don't have a Dreamcast. Get the remake Skies of Arcadia: Legends for the Gamecube. It is just as good but missing some of the amazing music.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/30/10

Game Release: Skies of Arcadia (US, 11/13/00)