"The best Dreamcast RPG!!!!!"

If you liked Grandia 2, you will love Skies of Arcadia! There are very few things bad about this game, and one of them is just the horrible CD case.

Gameplay- 9/10
The battles are very enjoyable. In both hand to hand and ship combat you have to use a spirt meter to use cannons, special moves, and magic. In hand to hand combat using attacks, which don't use spirit, makes your spirit go up or you can use the focus command. In ship to ship your cannons help build up spirit points or you can use focus like in hand to hand. The only let downs in gameplay is some enemies are cheap such as a enemy that can make you fall asleep when it bites you. I was killed when they kept doing this over and over again until my party was dead. The other let down is it is easy to get lost on the world map. Thank God for the compass!

Story- 10/10
Well I really don't want to spoil anything so I'll give you very little of the story. You are Vyse. Your a good pirate, and you have two comrades, Aika and Fina. You have to do something that is not mentioned in the first five minutes. Belive me, the story is really good!

Sound- 7/10
I don't know if the TV should be loud or soft! The music is fantastic. I haven't heard one bad song in this game. Why I might even buy the soundtrack. I'll get a ''pirated version'' (ha ha ha just kidding). Although the music is great the voice acting is horrible. Its a good thing the voices aren't like Grandia 2's where they form sentences. Arcadia's voices are only one liners, but I hate it when Aika says yeah.

Graphics- 9/10
The characters have facial expressions! It looks so cool! Note that Grandia 2's faces only have two eyes. The super moves are stunning and the magic effects light up the whole room! The ships and environments are amazing too. The only problem is the epileptic seizure warning. I almost wanted to return the game when I saw it, but when you read the manual you see that its for anyone with past history of seizures.

Replayability- 2/10
Does anyone want to play an RPG over again? I never want to replay an RPG(except for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross). Skies of Arcadia is the same as most RPGs when you replay them, you know the plot so its not as exciting anymore.

To buy or Rent-
You would have to rent this game alot if you only wanted to rent it, but I say Dreamcast owners who are hungry for a new RPG should hurry up and buy Skies of Arcadia. It took me a couple of weeks to actually find a store that carried Skies of Arcadia, so it seems to be rare. Also you never know, it might become the next Chrono Trigger(which I have! Its $100 at Funcoland! I got it for $50 new!)

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/31/01, Updated 03/31/01