Review by Ninja2436

"Skies of Arcadia is very cool."

The Sega Dreamcast isn’t well known for having a ton of great RPGs. There are only a handful of titles that would be considered good by the majority. Skies of Arcadia is one of those few RPG titles for the Dreamcast that people love.

Skies of Arcadia takes place in a very unique world. You control an air pirate named Vyse. You are in a pirate ship that doesn’t sail on the sea. No sir, this pirate ship sails the sky. As you travel you will find crew members, better ship parts, and occasionally a better ship. You will also encounter enemy ships that challenge you to ship battles. The ship battle is a very cool thing. You and the other ship take turns firing cannons, bombs, and other weapons at each other. You have to know when to heal, when to be more defensive and less offensive (and vice versa), and when to use certain weapons to your advantage. It’s quite a unique experience.

Skies of Arcadia has a great storyline. Vyse and Aika, who have been best friends since they were kids, are sailing around with their pirate homies when they discover a girl named Fina. There is a group of evil pirates that are after Fina. Why? You’ll have to play the game to find out. I don’t want to spoil anything, but basically you end up trying to save the world.

There are wonderful characters in SoA. The three main characters are Vyse, Aika, and Fina. Vyse, the game’s hero, is very brave and cool. Aika is loud and funny. Fina is quiet and shy. In your travels, you meet up with other people who take up the fourth slot of your group. The characters seem very real, and throughout the game they become better and better friends.

Some people say that Skies of Arcadia is one of the greatest RPG’s ever. While I liked it a lot, it didn’t seem like it was one of the greatest games I’ve ever played. I love the game, but there are better RPG’s out there. I still wholeheartedly recommend it to anybody.

Graphics - 10/10
Absolutely gorgeous. It’s so beautiful that after playing through some Playstation RPGs, I felt like I was playing an interactive FMV. Very detailed, both in the sky and in towns and cities. The characters’ facial expressions change, which is very cool.

Sound - 9/10
The music in Skies of Arcadia is very good, the sound effects in the game are great, but there is one thing that people don’t like about this game. The voice acting. Most of the dialogue is just in text boxes, but every once in a while, one of the characters will say something like ''Aye aye!'' While battling, there is a lot of voice acting, but I didn’t really mind it. A lot of people HATE the voice acting, but it seemed pretty good to me. I heard that they were originally going to make the game with voice actors talking the entire time, but I’m glad that they didn’t.

Gameplay - 9.5/10
The battle system isn’t perfect, but it’s pretty close. Everything else is top notch. Wonderful characters and story. It’s a very original game, with ship battles, air fishing, etc. It’s very fun to play, but some boss battles take a little too long. SoA isn’t too easy, and it isn’t too difficult, so the challenge level is just right.

Replay Value - 9/10
SoA can last you a good 50+ hours your first time through. There are plenty of sidequests to do. If playing through RPG’s twice is your thing, then go for it. It’s good enough to make you want to play it twice.

Overall - 9/10
Skies of Arcadia is a great game that is well worth your money. Buy it now.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/19/01, Updated 07/19/01