Review by Psycho Penguin

"The greatest arcade light gun game ever goes to DC in style!"

When I used to go to the arcade a lot, I made sure to play a few rounds of House of the Dead 2. The fun gameplay and the great graphics. Hell, even the music is some of the best I have ever heard in an arcade game. So, when I heard that the game was coming to Dreamcast, I was pretty excited. Then I heard about the fact that Sega of America was thinking of not releasing the light gun in America, in light of the tragedies at Columbine and other schools. I already had been pretty mad about the design of the Dreamcast console controller to begin with, and I did not know how a shooting light gun game like House of the Dead 2 would be ported to the Sega Dreamcast, especially without a light gun to play it on. Well, when the game came out I decided to rent the game out. An it was actually a pretty good game. Sure, it had its problems, but it was pretty much an exact arcade port of the arcade game. I also did not have a problem playing with the light gun in the game, although Interact did indeed release a light gun for the Sega Dreamcast video game console. Overall, House of the Dead 2 (DC version) is great!

Graphics (9.6/10)
The graphics in House of the Dead 2 are pretty much arcade perfect. The 3D look of the game is very well done. The character and enemy designs in the game are very well done, and have a great variety to them. of course, it would be easy to expect only having to kill zombies only, but there are also other enemies ranging from snakes to bettlls to other weird creatures. and oh yeah, there are also plenty of zombies to kill.The backgrounds are very well done as well and have great variety to them. The attention to graphics in the game is incredible. Overall, the graphics in House of the Dead 2 are great and pretty much arcade perfect.

Music/Sound (9.3/10)
This is the perfect case of me expecting so little from a game in a certain category, ad then being blown away by that certain category. The music and sound effects in Houe of the Dead 2 for Sega Dreamcast are very well done. In short, I LOVED the music in this game. It is definetly the best music I have ever heard in a light gun game. The variety in the tracks is great, and I still love the opening music in the game. The sound effects are also very well done. Everything from the ''reload'' shout to the cries of the zombies is relatively arcade perfect. Great music and sound effects.

Gameplay/Control (8.9/10)
House of the Dead 2 for the Arcade is still the best light gun game I have ever played in my entire life. The Dreamcast version is also great although I still prefer the Arcade version. First off, you can play this game with a light gun, so it isn't as bad as I originally thought. The controller also works pretty well, however. Actually, this is one of h few games where the Dreamcast controller works pretty well for the game. Still, I advise picking up a light gun for the full experience.

Replay Value
High

Challenge
Medium

Overall (9.1/10)
Relatively arcade perfect port of the best light gun game I have ever played. Well worth a purchase.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/14/00, Updated 07/16/01