Review by Truck_1_0_1_

"A Fantastic Experience! Radioooooooo!!!!"

After finally purchasing Jet Grind/Set Radio 3 years after I bought my Dreamcast (it took me long enough!), I must say that I am a clod for not purchasing it sooner. This is one great game, with a lot of great things going for it, beginning with game play.

Game play: 8/10

This game has an interesting learning curve. Most don't stick with it, and then just condemn the game for having, "bad controls." It is a tricky game to master, one that you must stick with. The object is to skate around of your, "jetted," roller skates, and tag (that is, to spray) other gangs graffiti with your own graffiti. A very novel and brilliant concept, and that makes for utterly simple game play. The diverse amount of characters also makes this game worthwhile to play. Each character has different abilities and attributes, as well as their own unique back story, and look. The enemies that you must deal with (be it the police or whomever) are sticklers, and they can really be a pain. As I mentioned each character has their own unique back story, but there is a main story that is also in the game.

It is the future, and Tokyo is in turmoil. A man in an organisation known as the golden rhinos is trying to take over Japan, and only the Jet Grinders can stop them (yes I know they aren't called that, however it is a good name for them), by tagging graffiti. The underground radio station known as Jet Set Radio gives out all of the news and happenings within the city. As mentioned, each character has their own back story and history, and you will find these out as you play the game. In graphics, this game was a first.

Jet Grind/Set Radio was the first ever game to use the cel-shading technique that many games have used to this day. The graphics are, for lack of a better word, perfect. They look incredible, with all of the colors being as vibrant as they are, and each character's unique look. Just oodles of eye-candy here. The same can be said for the sounds.

Sounds: 10/10

The soundtrack to Jet Grind/Set Radio is one of the best soundtracks ever made for any videogame ever. With guys such as Richard Jacques, and... Rob Zombie(?!) behind this game, you know the soundtrack will be boss. Virtually all music is unique (aside from the licensed music, and even then, Dragula is a unique version just for this game), and they are fun tracks to listen to. The sound effects are also great, with scraping sounds for when you take off in your roller-blades, and the obligatory grinding sounds and the like for when you grind on rails. Replay ability takes a slight hit, but that's alright.

Replay ability: 8/10

This game will also take a while to complete fully, and even when you do, there are a few other things that you can unlock, though they are tricky to get. Other than that though, there isn't much to do after you complete the game once, unless you want to complete it again!

Buy or Rent?

Sadly being a Dreamcast game, it cannot be rented. Don't make the same mistake I did though, go out and get this game, its a shame that I went this long without experiencing such a great game...

Radio is truly a great game and it has had a lot of fanfare, with a sequel, and top praise from Dreamcast/Sega fans. With incredible music, incredible graphics, unique game play, Jet Grind/Set Radio is a winner! "He's a sweet... soul... brother!"

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/24/08

Game Release: Jet Grind Radio (US, 10/30/00)