Review by Rick

"Overration+Hype=Dissatisfaction or (if you don't like big words) tHiS gaME SuXors DooD!"

Man, why does everybody like this game so much? That's all I really have to say for an opening sentence. Why? James thought it was pretty cool, I think sabin did, too, but I just don't see it's appeal. Oh, well. On with the review!

The graphics are one of the nicest parts about this game. It gets quite blocky most of the time, but it is constantly ultra-smooth. There is not a trace of slowdown in the game, even when it literally gets crazy. This helps you to see pass the slight blockiness of the game as you see complete real-time action with a fast-paced twist.

Sound effects stick mainly behind the stereotypical grunts of fighting games, but attack sounds are very nice. The music in this game is quite impressive, however. It has a nice, funky beat to it.

Control feels very natural on the Dreamcast controller. It actually has an eerie ''arcade perfection'' feel to it. But control is not why it has a low rating. This game quite simply sucks as a fighting game. It's not about fighting, it's about collecting these stupid jewels. I played against someone and I tried to fight them head on. All the did was run around the arena collecting jewels. I couldn't catch up, and was quickly defeated because while I was trying to fight the honest head-on way, he ran away collecting gems and powering up. It just turns into run around, collecting jewels, fighting for 5 seconds when you are powered up, and repeat this process until someone dies or the time runs out. Extremely stupid. The use of weapons from the battlefield was a nice little extra, however.

Overall Fun Factor: 3/10

Control is fine, which is a plus. But in terms of the game itself, CPU fighting is very dull in a fighting game and the multi-player fighting is, like I said, a complete pile of collection crap. Don't even rent this one unless you like fighting against the CPU. Seeya! --Rick >:P

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 04/23/00, Updated 04/23/00