Review by Parks

"Capcom's first good 3D fighter..."

Powerstone was the second game that I got for my Sega Dreamcast. I had played it on the demo CD included with the Dreamcast itself and I found it to be a very good game. And, since no rental places around here have Dreamcast games, I went out and bought the game... probably not a smart idea, but I have no regrets at all, trust me.

GAMEPLAY: 10/10
This game is so freakin' innovative that I was amazed and overjoyed when I first got the chance to play it. Like the back of the CD jewel case says, this is the first fighting game ever where you can go anywhere in a stage, grab anything, and use everyday objects like chairs and tables as weapons. Some beginners may find the game hard due to the fact that once one person gets three jewels, it's hard to avoid major damage, but eventually you get used to it and this minute detail is not even a factor anymore.

MUSIC: 7/10
The music in this game isn't very good in my opinion... at least, certainly not up to the usual high standard of Capcom music. But still, it serves its purpose well enough to give this department a relatively high score.

CONTROLS: 9/10
The controls of this game are very good, but I have one major gripe - there are only four real attacks: punch, kick, throw, and super-move when you are in "Dream Mode". This severely limits any actual fighting strategy, leaving most battles as a desperate rush for jewels so that you can unleash an un-Godly amount of damage using a super-move.

REPLAY FACTOR: 5/10
This game will be quite hard for beginners to complete, so even with 15 individual secrets to unlock, most beginners will have already quit after beating the game once or twice. And even expert players will eventually tire of playing the Arcade Mode over and over again.

OVERALL: 8/10
This is a great introductory game from Capcom for the Dreamcast. But unless you really like playing a game over and over to beat it, I'd wait until a store has it to rent before you go out and spend $49.99 on it.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 07/01/02