Review by nintendofrog

"A great rhythm game..."

So, I just recently bought a $20 Dreamcast, and was looking for a game to get. So I looked on Gamespot for high rated games, and I see a game called "Samba de Amigo." Now, I had never played a rhythm game where you used something that looked like an instrument, but I tried it out anyway, and let me tell you, I think its the best $80 I've ever spent.

Story-? out of 10
Sorry you RPG story loving people, but there isn't any story in this game. At all. But, seeing as this is not an RPG, it doesn't matter. Should a story be absolutely necessary for you to enjoy a game, go away, because your a moron. For you sensible people, this shouldn't matter. But since there is no story, I'm not gonna rate this category.

Graphics-9 out of 10
I really thought these looked pretty good. All the characters have their own sort of look, and the whole game looks pretty vibrant. Too vibrant, almost. But, there isn't any slowdown, which is very...instrumental (*cricket chirping*)...for a rhythm game. I'm sorry for that joke.

Controls-8 out of 10
This, I encountered some problems with. When I first got the game, I didn't get the maracas at first. I thought that would make the game unenjoyable, but it most certainly didn't. The control scheme revolves around using the d-pad and the buttons, which might seem like it would be confusing, but they made it very intuitive (more on that in Gameplay). Then a month later, I got the maracas, and it all fell apart. I don't know if mine were broken or something, but I found it very difficult to use the maracas. Oh well, it was the first attempt in the U.S., and for a first, it was pretty good.

Gameplay-10 out of 10
This is the best rythym game I've ever played, and probably ever will play. It revolves around little dots coming out from the middle and going over one of 6 circles. Once it goes over the circle, you have to shake the maraca or press the buttons the correspond to said circle. There are 2 colors of dots, red and blue. Blue just take one shake/push, while reds are rapid shakes/pushes where you have to do so as many times as you can while it's over the circle. Overall, a TON of fun.

Sound-9 out of 10
Can there be a music game that has bad sound? If there can, it's not this game. The soundtrack is overall really good, you can even play a theme song, called "Samba de Janeiro," which is probably my favorite theme song ever.

Story-? out of 10