"A flashy game that will kee you enthralled."

Ahh, yes. One of the most interesting games that I ever had the pleasure of playing. And you think that I kid when I say interesting. This game (when I played it the first time) actually made me think I was insane. There is just so much happening in this game, that when I played it, I almost short-circuited. But enough inane chatter, onto the review.

PLOT: 0/10
This is the second time I have ever given a game a 0 on plot, (the first being Virtual On: The Oratoro Tangram) and there are very good reasons for this. There is no plot to this game. I’m being serious. No plot. Go ahead. Laugh. But I tell you there is not plot to this game at all. And they called me mad.

CONTROLS: 10/10
The whole game relies on smooth controls for efficient and fun play, so if Sega screwed up the control scheme, then this game would be bad. But thankfully the controls are very fluid and responsive. But maybe I am overstepping my bounds as a devout Sega gamer here. It really all depends on whether you coughed up the large amount of money to buy the Maracas.

Control with the Maracas:
It really depends on which set you bought, if you bough some third party crud, your not going to get you game on very well. If you bought from the maker of the game, then you should be dancing like a maniac in no time. And not to mention striking poses. You see, the whole point of the game is to shake the maracas at integral parts of the song, and then you get a score based on how well you shook your dang maracas. That is why the third party ones will not do.

Control with the Controller:
There are many different control schemes if you did not buy the maracas, and you will surely find one to suit your needs. The game relies heavily on your sense of rhythm, even more so without the maracas. So the controls are good, and even a new, green gamer should have no problem with them.

SOUND: 10/10
Because this game is a rhythm based game, if the sound was crap then the game would be crap. But the sound is perfect. There are many songs to choose from, ranging from Ritchie Valence to Chumbawumba. Yes, Chumbawumba contributed to this game. The songs are not choppy, and soon you will be dancing along with the game, albeit you will look somewhat dumb.

GRAPHICS: 8/10
The graphics in this game are relatively good, but if you watch them, then you will either have a seizure, or lose your rhythm. There is simply TOO MUCH GOING ON. There are monkeys dancing, cheetahs playing guitars, and just way too much stuff. Oh well, it is entertaining.

DIFFICULTY: 8/10
It all depends on which mode you play it on. If you take on the challenge mode, then you will be faced with some of the hardest game play around, forcing you to use all of your maraca skills to win the mode. Arcade Mode is basically a port from the arcade, while the song selection is a bit restricting. You can only choose three songs, and after you beat a level, three more are added to choose from, but that is all.
Original Mode lets you choose any song that you want from the list of song you have unlocked. Both the Arcade and Original modes have difficulties that vary, depending on which difficulty you have set it on.

OVERALL: 8/10
This is a solid game without plot, and even if you do not have maracas you will still have a good time.

REPLAY: Moderate
Because you can unlock new “stuff” you will almost definitely come back until you have gotten everything.

BOTTOM LINE:
For die-hard Sega fans, this game will be a welcome addition to their growing collection. For newbies, this Flashy title will get your attention, and won’t let up until your done.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/01/02, Updated 07/01/02