Review by Fred Dibnah

"I couldn't help but wonder: When is bag go stripes?"

Introduction
Sonic Team finally their fifth game series (Sonic, Nights, Burning Rangers, Ristar, and PSO). And to be quite honest, it is probably the most irritating game I have ever played for the Dreamcast. Yes, even SA2 is better than this load of rubbish, which isn't saying a lot. If you are still interested in the game, chances are you won't be when you play the first three songs or so.

Gameplay - 7/10
Since I couldn't be arsed to buy any maracas, I simply played with the DC controller. All you do is try to mash the buttons to the beat of the music. Yes, you don't actually play as any of the characters in the game. In fact, I have no idea why Sonic Team created them in the first place, since they do nothing to help you in gameplay. In fact, they actually hinder you, because you are probably watching Rio annoyingly dance his way around the stage, thus distracting you from scoring an A on the current song.
Oh, speaking of which, the pause menu. The pause system is worse than a man dressed in a poorly-made Lanky Kong suit (complete with really long DK trombone). Why, Sonic Team, why did you make it so you cannot pause in the game (otherwise you'll have to start it ALL OVER)? This is extremely hard to accustom to, especially for beginners.

Story - 0/10
This section gets a big zero due to the simple fact that there isn't any story to begin with. Hurrah. Less work for me. *dances*
Sure, there are characters. However, they are no more important to the game than that little light on your computer monitor.

Graphics - 6/10
The graphics are nice, yes, but they do nothing except desperately try and mess up your rhythm beat. They were extremely cringe-worthy, especially if you're trying to master Tubthumping or Samba de Amigo (yes, the game even has its own theme song). Plus, you can't help and wonder exactly why some characters are dancing in some sort of cyberspace. Flashing lights and foolish dancing people galore.

Sound - 8/10
This game is all about music. Some of them are rather nice, like Macarena, but others are so terrible that I wanted to mute the sound. I would have, too, but then I wouldn't be able to beat the level. The only really good music in the game are the ones from other Sonic Team games, but they cannot be accessed until downloading them off the Internet.

Replayability - 4/10
Why on Mushroom Land would anyone want to replay this game? The game isn't any fun, since it is merely a load of rubbish forcing you to press a jumble of buttons in order to complete a song. Plus, the adventure mode is too hard. I can't think of a single reason to play this game ever again. Except if you happen to like the music (which, by the way, isn't a great number of in the game).

Conclusion
If you are really curious, rent it. Buy it if you want a pretty penny full of headaches. I was very unfortunate to buy this game at all. In other words, do not buy this game. You'll be doing yourself (and all those people who made the game) a favor.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 05/09/03, Updated 05/09/03