Review by JasonZxcv

"Fantastic Game... But Not Long Enough"

Genre
Everybody considers Shenmue ''FREE'' even the makers, but to me it seems like an action RPG because the battle system you control the fighting which is just like Legend Of Mana/Secret Of Mana.

Story 9/10
The story is fantastic, your father has been killed and your looking to avenge his death, but with no idea whatsoever you have to walk around looking for clues.Which gives you the realistic feel that you don't find in other RPGs... here and these are the reasons:
1. Not everyone talks to you(in real life any stranger on the street would talk to you? imagine you were one of those teenager girls on the street and don't you think they would be scared if you tried to talk to them at night?).
2. You can't go in other people's houses while in other RPG's you can, which is another reality thing..(do you think you would let some stranger in your house and ask questions?)
3. Shops open and close at certain times.
4. People are actually moving around in and out of shops not just repeating their movements.

Gameplay 8/10
I loved the gameplay, the battles were great.You could learn moves,collect toys of Sonic Characters,Eat and Drink and lots of other things.There were also certain people who could teach you moves.Even better, you could buy moves in the antique shop!The battle system was similar to Virtua Fighter and Tekken but whats different is, if you run away you can recover some life which is cool and what you really need to do against Chai.

Controls 5/10
In my opinion I didn't like the controls at all.They were pretty annoying, considering you needed to walk around with the D-Pad and hold R to run which after afew hours starts to make you abit crazy.

Voice Acting 6/10
The voice acting wasn't that good and most of the time you would be skipping the voice acting with the B button.Yeah, the voice acting wasn't too good but how are they suppose to pay for expensive and professional voice actors when there are so many people in the game.

Graphics 9/10
Graphics are the greatest I've ever seen on a Dreamcast.Very detailed on every single part of the game there's even detail on the palm of the hand.But there are some things wrong with the graphics like when ever you go into a cutscene, Ryo walks like he's limping or when you go past steam from a kettle in the Harbor, his movement will be in slow motion.But I think they should have done the cutscenes in FMV considering what Square could do with FMV's on a PSOne.

Replay Value 9/10
I don't think there's any reason to replay the game since you don't miss out on much except afew moves and believe me, you don't need to use strong moves to beat this game.

Buying Or Renting
I recommend you just rent Shenmue for afew day hire because it doesn't take too long to beat this game.If you buy it, you have just wasted a lot of money on a game that will take about 15-20hrs.But by the way this was the game that encouraged me to buy a Dreamcast ;)

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/03/01, Updated 02/03/01