Review by XtremeGundamX

"Doesn't have a 10 but is my FAVORITE GAME EVER!!!"

My favorite game ever. I mean sure it has it's problems but this game has everything for any game fan. You have racing/driving, fighting, adventure, RPG elements, and some puzzles too. This game is great. The graphics are the best and really show what the Dreamcast can do. The sounds and music are great although the voice acting sucks but it’s not that bad. The controls are another area that kinda bugs me I mean why would a 3d game use the D-pad to control the game. However, once you get use to it, it should be a breeze to control Ryo with the D-pad. The game really sucks you into it and I love it. The cities are very very cool where you can go into every place besides the closed ones. Everthing can be picked up, and every person can be talked too. The first disc of the game is pretty slow and all you really do is run around talking to people. The second disc has some action and it keeps you playing the game. The third disc also the best is the best theres action at least every 2 minutes of playing it. You get to do some really sweet stuff in the third disc.

STORY

The year is 1986, the place Yokosuka, Japan. The normally tranquil day-to-day life of Ryo Hazuki is suddenly irrcoverable shattered by uninvited visitors. A man wearing dark green Chinese clothes appears at the Hazuki family home with two black-suited thugs. This man uses a powerful style of martial arts, the likes of which Ryo has never before seen, to engage his father Iwao in a fierce battle. Ryo attempts to intervene and help his father, but the obvious disparity in power is too much. Ryo is beaten down and taken hostage as the man questoins Iwao, “Where is the mirror.” Having no other recourse, Iwao reluctantly tells him. Once this mysterious object is in the man’s possession, he again attacks Iwao. “Do you remember Zhao Sun Ming…” From these words Ryo learns of a shocking truth from the past. His father was responsible for killing someone long ago. And then, Iwao is knocked down in defeat. Ryo pulls his father close and feels him take his last breath. “Lan Di” The man with the ominous embroidery of a glittering dragon on his back, the man responsible. What of the stolen mirror? Who is this Lan Di? Vowing to seek revenge, Ryo embarks on a journey to unravel the mystery surrounding his father’s death and deliver justice to the man responsible.

CONTROL **8**

Ok heres one of the minor flaws in the game. Why did they use the D-pad to control Ryo? It works great sometimes but others it gets confusing. Holding the L buttons makes Ryo run so it helps to speed the game up. The only problem is controlling him. The QTE Battles are pretty cool although I would have liked more Free battles instead. Most of the QTE battles were pretty easy cause you can repeatedly do them untill you win. Practicing you moves with the D-pad works great and maybe that is why they used it for the whole game. Performing moves are relatively easy but sometimes a little button mashing cannot hurt.

MUSIC / SOUND **10**

The music in this game shines and it sounds great with the Dreamcast hardware. The sounds are all there, from the sound of a cat to the sound of a Forklift moving its lift up and down. Everything is very detailed in this part of the game. Theres nothing here that sounds bad or anything everything comes together to really put some more detail into this great game. All of the voices in this game sound great and are really detailed. One thing that kinda makes me mad though is the crappy voice acting.

GRAPHICS / LEVEL DESIGN **10**

One of the most spectacular parts of the game is this. The graphics are some of the best I have seen. Everthing looks great to the words on a bag of Potatoe Chips to the creases in Ryo’s jacket. Everything in this game big or small can be looked at, and you can see that there was a lot of time put into creating them cause they look so real. The cities are cool and have numerous doors that can be opened. Everything is fully interactive and can be picked up if it is something you can use on your journey. All of the characters in the game look great. The characters show great detail from the clothes they wear to the style of their hair. One of the bad things in the crappy voice acting they rushed it out to us in the States and we end up with some terrible voice acting that should have been fixed.

REPLAYABILITY **9**

The game is really fun with all of the minigames to mess around with and where else can you play a 70-man battle. They’res a lot of things to collect in this game but a limited amount of money. It depends do you just want to rush through it doing a little of this and a little of that and just see what the game is like then you’ll probably want to play it again. If you take your time and get the full experience of the game, you will probably be done with the game but hey it is one heck of a game and I would play it again either way. The game has so much to do and explore so take your time and get the full experience of a great game.

CHALLENGE **MEDIUM**

To me the game was easy to medium. Sure it had it’s hard spots but most of it was easy. You could not die from walking around and the QTE Battles you could do over and over same with the Free Battles. You did not have to start from Ryo’s house if you died you just started back at the beginning of the QTE which made the game way to easy. I had more trouble with the 70 man battle than the Ending Guy (I forgot his name).

OVERALL **9**

Great game go out and buy it. Support the Dreamcast as it has some of the best and most creative games out there. The game has it’s weak spots but too me it’s one of the Best Games Ever. The game should be fun for everyone and should be recognized as one of the Best games for a long time to come. Buy this game if you do not your missing out on one of the best DC games ever.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/08/01, Updated 08/14/02