Review by Takezo

"Amazing Gameplay, Story and Graphics"

I have never played game this good! I felt overjoy for the first day I got this game.

Sound & Music: 10/10
The sound of footsteps and thunder has never been so real! Unlike most adventure/RPG games, all the conversation is vocalized clearly (I have no trouble learning new japanese vocabulary from this game). With a Japanese dictionary and moderate knowledge of Japanese, you will learn new vocabularies. Most of background music has Japanese/Chinese tunes and 1980's tune. You can listen to them after you have finished the game with Shenmue Passport software.

The detail for facial movement is good while the demo in Passport sofware is even better (because it's simulated separately from Shenmue world). The camera pan is very good (like in cinemas). The detail of the world is very realistic, ie.: the contents of every drawer that you can open in your house.

Since this is an adventure game, most of the time you are talking to various people. In the middle of adventure, you can also learn new fighting technique (my favorite part), practice your moves, encounter free battle (starting from 2nd Disc) and Quick Timer Events (pressing the correct button at a right time). The most interesting thing is that there is several small brances of path that you can follow in this game. The gameplay is the best aspect in this game because you can't never find it in other games!

Overall Score: 10/10
In conclusion, this game is not 100% perfect (?). There are small problems in Passport software (movie player), slowdown, and character control. Still this game is a breakthrough (more than the first release of Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid) for console gaming. Some people may not like it because its kind of boring talking to peoples, but I believe that they are shocked of what a little console can do compared to PC.

Takezo