Review by Jadestorm

"Wish it could have come out better..."

Being a gamer who tends to like a lot of games that ''the general public'' dislikes, I thought I'd give Slave Zero a chance even though it had gotten a lot of bad reviews. As much as I hate to say it, that was a mistake.

I'm very adamant about having music in a game, and this game had none. Not even at the title screen. The sound effects would probably have been ok if I had actually been able to hear them without turning the volume up to it's max. I'm not exactly sure why anyone would decide to make the sound effects =that= silent, but oh well. However, if I could have heard them better, I'd be happy with them. They were probably about as good as you are going to get for the type weapons and sound of the machine's movements.

The controls are, while they take a little getting used to, not bad IMO. I'm not sure they could have done it better with what they had. You use the buttons for movement, the analog stick for aiming, and the pad for jumping and some weird stomp move. I don't know what left and right might have been for. Using the analog stick more or less in place of a mouse isn't a bad idea, and since the buttons work well for movement. However, sometimes the environments were a little hard to move around in and ''glitchy''. For instance, one time I was walking =up= a ramp to get to the next section and all of a sudden I'm falling as if I had stepped off the edge of a building and I died. I never had to actually use the jump as everything I needed to get up on was easy to just climb up to, but then I didn't play that far through the game.

The graphics, well, they weren't horrible, but they weren't great either. The city you start out in is very drab and dark. Sometimes it's very hard to tell where something is or what's going on, or more importantly why you aren't able to walk forward. The effects of the weapons and the robots themselves looked good though.

The absolute biggest disappointment was the multiplayer deathmatch type thing. I tried a couple environments and they all looked utterly horrible. Most of the areas are so dark that you can't see your opponents. There seems to be a lot of dropping of frame rate in that mode too. It was just not fun at all. Multiplayer was one of the biggest selling points for me, and well, for that to be useless pretty much ruined the game right off the bat for me.

Overall, I have to say I =wished= it had been better because I liked the concept and such, but it just wasn't pulled off well at all. Needless to say I didn't keep the game long. I'd suggest renting first if you are even considering picking it up.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 07/21/00, Updated 07/21/00