Review by Psycho Penguin

"Blood... blood... blood!"

There have been a few games for Dreamcast that I have anticiapted from the time I first heard about them. Phantasy Star Online. Time Stalkers. And Sword of the Beserk: Gut's Rage. Never in my life have I played such a bloody game. I remember playing the import version a few months back and feeling let down by the entire experience. But the American version is much beter and a lot more fun to play, in my opinion. Anyways, enough talk about this, on with my review to Sword of the Berserk: Gut's Rage!

Graphics (9.7/10)
Sword of the Berserk: Gut's Rage features outstanding graphics that really show off the power of the DreamCast! First off, the backgrounds in this game are wonderfully done! It's a 3D game, so the backgrounds move as you move, but they are wonderfully designed! Secondly, there is lots and lots of realistic blood! The only problem with the blood is that it kinda disappers suddendly. The enemy and character designs are very well done. Overall, Sword of the Berserk: Gut's Rage features great graphics that really show off the power of the Dreamcast!

Music/Sound (6.3/10)
The only weak spot of an otherwise incredible game, the music is not up to usual Dreamcast standards. Sure, the music is pretty good, but it is not as good as should be expected. The tunes are not really that well done, and don't expect this game to get an award winning soundtrack anytime soon! Sound effect wise, Sword of the Berserk: Gut's Rage has good sound effects. Overall, this game has good music and good sound effects.

Gameplay/Control (8.8/10)
At first glance, this game seems nothing more than a Streets of Rage style game, then you realize that there is a little more depth to the game then ''hacking through your enemies with a huge ass sword''. But there isnt too much more variety than that. The main selling point of this game is the blood and gore, and there is a lot of it. In fact, this is probably the bloodiest game ever. A MAJOR flaw with this game is the save system. You must die and get a game over before being able to save. And sometimes the save feature does not even work. This is the only flaw that prevents this game from getting an overall score of 10/10, because it really messes up my opinion of the game when I battle through lots of stages, then find out that my game never really saved to begin with!

Replay Value: High
Its good, until you realize that your game did not save properly.

Challenge
High

Overall (8.9/10)
Great game, well worth a purchase.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/21/00, Updated 07/16/01