Review by SoCKS

"It's so weird! So oddly, strangely weird!"

As of late, platform games have been sucking. Mascots have gotten weirder and weirder, and usually a sad but true formula applies. The weirder it gets, the crappier it gets. Fortunately, Rayman 2 has managed to turn that around. The weirdest mascot of all turns out to have one of the most fun games around. Rayman 2 is an excellent game, and for $20, you'd be crazy not to pick it up.

Graphics-- 10
Rayman 2 looks absolutely stunning. The textures are all crispy clean, and the color is saturated and thick. The game looks sharper than ever before, and is just as graphically amazing as the PS2's version, only with less loading. There's not really much to say here, besides the fact that there's really nothing wrong with the graphics. They compliment the game beautifully, and considering how awesome the game itself is, that's nothing to be ashamed of.

Sound-- 9
The music in this game is quirky, and rocks. It's worth turning up the sound just to hear the music. Rayman sounds great, and the gibberish language is AWESOME. I wish more games besides this and Banjo Kazooie would sound so great. My only gripe is that it sometimes gets repetitive. Besides this minor flaw, the score is amazing and one of my favorites.

Story-- 8
I have no clue what those people at Ubi Soft were smoking when they made this story, but whatever it was, I want some. The story is wonderfully told, and amazingly quirky. It could use a few more cut scenes, but other than that, it's such a fresh spin on an old cliche. I don't want to ruin any of it, but it obviously involves saving the world. Almost every platform game does, right?

Gameplay-- 8
This has almost every element you could want in a platform game. There's flying, driving, shooting, auto-aiming, and everything else you could possibly want. Rayman controls very responsively, and I've never once died because of it. The camera is great, and I've only had to adjust it a few times throughout the course of the game. In fact, I would say that as a platform game, Rayman 2 has perfect gameplay. I just wish there were more levels, as the number it has right now isn't that great. It won't take you too long to finish Rayman 2, but when it's over, you'll wanna cry. Not because it ends sadly, but because it ends. This game is like crack, you can't stop until it all runs out. I've found myself saying, ''Just one more level...'' every time I turn it on. However, it is way too short, hence the 8.

Replay-- 7
Like I said, this game is like crack. However, it's way too short. The multiplayer modes are weak, and you'll only go back to play the levels you love. It could have had so much more, but it had to end! The horror! The terror!

Overall-- 8
No platform fan should be without Rayman 2. Period. It has ingenious level design, tons of gameplay modes (driving, swimming, flying, etc), and has amazing graphics and sound that perfectly match the quirky story. Buy Rayman 2, and experience it at least once. You owe it to yourself.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/21/01, Updated 07/21/01