Review by Koo_Kat

"WHAT a game..."

This may be one of the best Sonic games that ever hit the American soil! ''WOW'' Is all I have to say about this incredible game. Awesome graphics and incredible gameplay, I can't wait to get on with this review...

Graphics-10
If I could give the graphics an 11, it'll get it! The game's graphics are a silky-smooth 60 fps. Beautiful animation and lush environments all pull together the best graphics I've seen in a video game (WAY better than about 98% of PS2 games). My only gripe is that the camera doesn't control like the original game's. When you use the L/R buttons to swing the camera around, it returns to its original position when you move. But my theory is that Sega decided that you could probably make it without adjusting the camera.

Sound/Music-10
Fluid tunes and a respectable sound lineup makes for good background. The music matches the scenery perfectly. If its Egyptian, the music gains a slow, ancient tone to it. City stage, a techno-beat is hit. Its all good. Sound has been totally revamped from the ground up. Even Sonic's jumping sound has been redesigned. Top-notch all around.

Control-10
Why fix something that isn't broken? That's something Sega must have taken to heart when worked on the control. Sonic Adventure's near-flawless control has been carried over in full to Sonic Adventure 2. But Sega also improved the control. Sonic now possesses the ability to grind, hang, and slide on rails. Tails' idea has taken on a E-102 idea and you aim and fire now. Knuckles can now swim and dig into walls to find the missing pieces of the Master Emerald. All of the old moves for Sonic and Knuckles were retained. Fluid and strong handling keeps this game as some of the best control around.

Gameplay-10
The idea of an Evil/Good system keeps the game fresh after 10 years. True, while the games are the same, you get a different set of levels for each character. You can finally play as Robotnik for crying out loud! If THAT isn't enough for you, I can't think of what you people want to do! Seriously, a great control scheme and a new system for the already successful Sonic formula brings it all together.

Replay Value-10
Believe it or not, this game is very much replayable. Its system of good and evil makes for great variety. You can go back and take care of the Chao. You can play all of the completed levels again. There is plenty to do. The two-player mode is also a lot of fun for friends. If you don't have anything to do, just pop this in the drive and have some fun.

Overall-10
Perfect gameplay and flawless graphics. What more can I say? I don't think I have ever seen a better game. Or played one for that matter. I can really say that I have been never been this impressed by a game. If you liked the original, and even if you haven't, get this game for a true adventure.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/23/01, Updated 06/23/01