Review by Nintendork AJ

"I Thought I Bought a Sonic Game"

Let me start off by saying that I never bothered to get all the emblems in the first game. I didn't hate the game, but I miss the old 2-d Sonic. Why I bought this game is beyond me, but it is an ok game. Certainly worth renting, just for the Sonic stages, but that's it.

Graphics: 8/10 Wow, could be the best on the system. Slowdown is rare, and it's usually running at 60fps. It's not like you can actually tell how fast it's going anyway.

The camera is a waste of time. Why is there even a camera that you can adjust? You adjust it, take a step, and it's back to where it started from. Also, not being able to look around is a minus. Why was it taken out?

Lip synching? We don't need no lip synching. Yeah, right...

Game Play: I really couldn't rate this as a whole. However I can certainly rate it as an average between the three different modes. Let me rate it as an average between each of the types of games.

Let's break it down first:

Sonic/Shadow- The best type of game play here. Like the SA1 Sonic stages. 9/10

Tails/Robotnik- The first few stages are boring. After you get the hover thingamajigger, it isn't so bad. 6/10

Knuckles/Rouge- Waste of time, extremely tedious. Should've been scrapped for more Sonic stages. I grudgingly give it a 1/10

All in all for game play, I'd say 7/10. The only stages you're going to want to play over are the Sonic/Shadow ones.

Sound: The character voices are horrible, save Eggman. The music is not bad, but not remarkable. Nothing in here like the Lost World theme from SA1. 5/10

Replayability: Well, you're definitely going to replay the Sonic/Shadow stages. That's about all in the single player game.

There is also a 2 player race mode that is pretty fun. As expected, the only good type of two player is the Sonic/Shadow racing.

The Chao system is great. Really ups the replay. But, there's not much point in raising a Chao, other than the ''Hey, I got it!'' type of effect.

The emblem system is way better in this game. You have to meet certain requirements, instead of finishing under a specific amount of time. Good, but still doesn't help, because you're only going to want to get the Sonic/Shadow emblems.

Overall: Good game if you liked the first. Rent it, don't but it. Unless you like the Knuckles and Tails type of game play.

6/10 MY OPINION! By the way, yes I did return this.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 06/28/01, Updated 06/28/01