Review by Master Gamer

"There is no such thing as a perfect game, but Sonic Adventure 2 is the closest thing to it."

On June 19, 1991, SEGA released the game Sonic the Hedgehog. (Flash Forward to today) Now exactly 10 years later from the release of the original Sonic the Hedgehog, SEGA and Sonic Team gave their all to make a tenth anniversary present gamers wouldn't forget and Sonic Adventure 2 was the result.

Graphics 10/10
---------------

Alright, pop your original Sonic Adventure disc in and take a close look at the graphics and how fast the characters move. Now pop in your Sonic Adventure 2 disc and do the same thing. See the difference? Sonic Adventure moves at only 30 FPS (frames-per-second you newbie!), while
Sonic Adventure 2 moves at 60 (yes 60) FPS!!!. I don't give high ratings just because of fast frame rates though. The overall graphics are just mind-blowing! The colors and backgrounds are vivid and now there are more graphical details too. For example, if you run really fast (like
when the semi is chasing you in the first level), you will notice Sonic's quills starting to stick up a little more because of the wind. Although this is only a small detail, it adds a greater sense of depth and realism. Another detail is during the past Sonic games (everyone that involves jumping at all), when Sonic jumped, he would sort of go into a spin dash like move. Now instead he does a front flip which I happen to like better.
Overall, it could be possible that Sonic Adventure 2's graphics surpass every other SEGA Dreamcast game (maybe even NBA 2K1!) and AT LEAST a few Playstation 2 games out there. Which is why I think it deserves a solid ten.

-----------------------
Sound/Music/Voice 9/10
-----------------------

When you are in a level, does the music help you? If you're like me it does. Usually I run at the pace of the music, yet I can't help it. If you're not like me, if it is
level-appropriate, it can at least help you ''read'' the level by telling you how fast or slow a level is going to be. This is what I like about Sonic Adventure 2. Each level has appropriate music. The first level, City Escape is pretty fast. So what does SEGA do? They put in a fast
tempo techno song! Not every level is fast though. So if you are in a slow level, the music will be slow and so on.
Another thing to mention is the characters theme songs. With the exception of Amy Rose, if they are a character from the original Sonic Adventure, they will have a remixed version of their song (most have a lot shaved off though.). I didn't like this at first but after a while
I thought it was cool.
I have to say there has been some extremely bad voice acting lately in video games but Sonic Adventure 2
would definitely be an exception. The voice-actor that does Sonic's voice (for Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2), Ryan Drummond is in my opinion A LOT better then Jaleel White (Better known as Steve Urkel who did Sonic's voice for the American Sonic cartoon's). Ryan did Sonic with that ''attitude'' Sonic is notorious for. As for the other voices they are near perfect. They are always appropriate to the characters, however nobody did as good a job for their character as Ryan Drummond.
The Sound effects are the mostly the same as ten years ago except for Sonic and Shadow's new jump which is now a ''whoosh'' type of sound instead of a bleep. As for the rest I really can't say much since they are the same, which is why I minused one point off the score. I know that the Sound effects are classic, but they need more then a couple new effects.

Controls 10/10
---------------
For the past 10 years the controls have stayed simple just a one button press and you do a jump. Unfortunately that didn't give many moves now the moves depend on the character. But the controls for each character are usually two button presses or less. Much like Zelda: Ocarina of time, there is an ''action window'' which displays what will happen if you press the X or B button. This is useful, as it allows you to perform more then one action per button without complicating the controls. When I grade controls, I grade them based on simplicity which is why I gave it a ten.

Camera 3/10
------------
Ugh!!! I told you, no game is perfect and this part proves it. The Camera can get stuck in places and sometimes you will fall through solid ground standing still!!! Although it does happen less then Sonic Adventure 1, it still annoys the heck out of you.

----------------
Difficulty 7/10
----------------

Sonic Adventure 2's difficulty isn't too bad... at first some parts can have you stuck for days. To fully complete the game you have to acquire 180 ''emblems'' by completing missions. Some of these missions can be next to impossible, like getting an ''A'' grade on EVERY mission. Even on the first level this can be tough. This can be good though, because it gives you a reason to play. When I grade difficulty, I grade it where a one is like an Elmo game and ten is virtually impossible. Which is why I gave it a seven, not impossible yet very tough.

------------------
Replayability 8/10
------------------

To fully beat this game, you need 180 emblems. This can take anywhere between fifty and seventy hours the first time!!! However you may just want to replay the story, which unlike the original Sonic Adventure you can replay the story without deleting the file. I definitely am wanting to replay the game once I beat it, which is why I gave it an eight.

-----------
Value 10/10
-----------

Although I bought this game new for $39.99, I would have dearly paid fifty or sixty for this game without complaining. The reason I would pay so high is because of all of the hours you spend playing this game. 18 Wheeler is a trucking game that came out a few days before Sonic Adventure 2. The game had only four full levels that lasted only a couple minutes long each!!! Plus it was the same price as Sonic Adventure 2!!! This is why I gave Sonic Adventure 2 a ten of ten in value; because you get a lot of time out of it.

Overall 9/10
------------

Like I said at the beginning, there is no such thing as a perfect game. No matter how good, you will ALWAYS find something that could be better. I found that the game needs a few more new sound effects and that the camera is hideous. The Camera really drags down the score though. Which is why I gave a nine of ten to this near (but not) perfect game. It is definitely the way Sonic's tenth anniversary.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/02/01, Updated 08/02/01