Review by JGuarneri

"Get ready to roll with Sonic again!"

If you're one of the few people who owns a Dreamcast, chances are you bought the original Sonic Adventure, and chances are you liked it. It was an amazing game for its time, and is still pretty cool today, despite its flaws. Now, Sonic Adventure 2 has come out, and it's the one of the best games I've ever played.

The graphics in this game are great from the get-go. Compare this to any other game on the DC, and plenty of other current Action/Adventure games, and you'll see that this game is simply amazing. The frame rate is fast and furious in this game, and it holds up extremely well during the fast paced levels, with only minor accounts of slowdown, which I've only seen in the minigames. The characters have a much higher polygon count than in the last game, and are now fully animated (Sonic's quills even swish when he runs and jumps). There are better graphical effects, and the levels have an incredibly sharp level detail.

Control: 10/10

The controls in this game are as easy to learn and intuitive as they were in the last game. New abilities have been added to the list as well. The camera problems from the last game are still there, but don't obstruct the game's flow very often.

The music for this game is much better. I actually like a lot of the songs in this game (except Knuckle's music;(
The sound effects are crisp, and though none of them are the retro Sonic sounds from the last game, they're great overall.

I cannot say that this game is anything less that one of the most fun games I've ever played. With 30 levels to complete, 5 objectives per level, and tons of unlockable extras and 2-player mini-games, this game has incredible replay value. The levels are a blast to play, and each of the levels is unique; some take place in the same area as another level, but the designs are completely different. The levels are also more complex this time, and boast tons of power-ups to find. The adventure fields from the first game are gone, and while they were kind of nifty, their absence doesn't hurt the game at all; the game now goes from level to level, with occasional boss and story sequences between. Also, this game has one of the coolest features I've seen in a Sonic game: you can now play as the bad guys, two of which are brand new characters ( Shadow and Rouge), with Amy making cameo appearances. There are two intertwining stories in the game, and both must be played through the unlock the final story, as well as 1- and 2-player Kart Racing modes. The Kart Racing game is fun in and of itself, and is a nice diversion from the main game. The boss battle games are back, with one for each of the three stories. There are also 3 2-player games available at the start: racing (Sonic/Shadow), battle (Tails/Dr. Robotnik), and treasure hunt (Knuckles/Rouge).

This game is definitely a must-have in any DC owner's library.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/05/01, Updated 10/05/01