Review by BCostigan

"The Perfect RE game!!!"

RESIDENT EVIL 2 for the Sega Dreamcast is the best Resident Evil 2 for any system. The graphics are absolutely superb. They are much nicer and more cleaned up than both the Playstation and Nintendo 64 versions.

STORY: (10/10)
The T-virus has once again spread through the town of Raccoon City. A rookie cop, Leon Kennedy and a woman searching for her brother, Claire Redfield, are the only ones who could stop the virus. The evil returns with a vengeance. Umbrella Inc. must be stopped. The fate of the world is in the palm of your hand. The story is very intriguing and very deep. It has so many twists and turns. I think the story is absolutely great. This so far is the best Resident Evil story out of all the stories. I think that it goes really deep and answers a lot of questions that the first one did not answer.

GRAPHICS: (10/10)
The graphics for Resident Evil 2 on the Sega Dreamcast are very gorgeous. The backgrounds look better than they ever have before. They aren’t gravely and pixilated like on the Playstation version and there is no Violence Control like on the Nintendo 64 version. I think that the best thing about Resident Evil is all the realistic violence that it has. The character models for Leon, Claire, Sherry, Ada, etc. look great. The cut-scenes are also a great quality in the game. They also look nice and crisp. I noticed that on the Playstation version, when you are watching the cut-scenes, you could see small blocks. But, when you are watching them on Sega Dreamcast, there are no blocks to be seen. So, I give the graphics a 10 out of 10.

SOUND: (10/10)
The sound is beautiful in Resident Evil 2 on the Sega Dreamcast. The guns sound like actual guns rather than imitated gun sounds, and the zombies sound very realistic and very creepy. The music is also a great quality in the game. Resident Evil games always seem to have some really great creepy music. When characters talk, there voices sound great! Although, the voice acting isn’t the best, but, I am not going to take off any points for that. When you look past that, it’s PERFECT!

Controls: (10/10)
At first when you begin to play Resident Evil 2 on the Sega Dreamcast, the controls may be a little confusing. But, if you continue to play the game for another 15 to 30 minutes, the controls are not so hard. I also enjoy hoe they put your lifeline directly onto the VMU screen. I think that it was a very clever idea. I believe that the controls are flat-out perfect. That is all there is to say about them. THEY ARE PERFECT!

GAMEPLAY: (10/10)
The overall gameplay is great! It combines puzzle solving and shooting. At times the puzzles may be a little tricky, but at other times, the puzzles aren’t too hard at all. You only make the harder puzzles hard if you want them to be hard. The game may take 4 to 5 hours to beat for beginners, but maybe only 2 to 3 hours for hardcore experts. Also, a great feature that Resident Evil 2 has is Scenario A and B. If you play the game with Leon first (Scenario A), when beat it, pop in Claire’s disc and play her (Scenario B). In this case, you get to experience both adventures. Scenario B will be quite different from Scenario A, what I mean is, there will be a few more cut-scenes, and items will be placed in different places. Also, the game will begin in a different area. This was also one of the great features of the game.

FINAL RATING: (10/10)
This game is perfect in every way. It has a great story, great graphics, perfect sound, PERFECT EVERYTHING! Buy this game immediately! Don’t even hesitate to get it. JUST GET IT!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/23/02, Updated 07/23/02