Review by bigirish

"This may be the best racer on the Dreamcast!"

Get Daytona USA now and play it!! THIS IS THE ULTIMATE DAYTONA!! First things first. The analog control is slightly sensitive in the default setting. You really need to tweak the steering sensitivity from the start. It needs turned down about 2 or 3 ''notches.'' This is probably the only major concern for this game. Okay, on to the review.

The game gives you 8 great tracks (5 older and 3 new) and each can be raced 4 different ways - normal, mirror, reverse, or reverse mirror. The 4 cars you get from the start are nice, but I wish there were more (like 8 or so). Each has different grip, acceleration, and speed ratings. It's cool how you can customize your color schemes and save up to 3 for each car. It is very similar to the Rally Cross 2 (PS1) method of color customization. Also, you can change the number of laps for each race - usually to 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 20, 40; and racers to go against - 10, 20, 30, or 40. Nice touch.

MODES: The modes are there - single race, championship, split-screen versus, time attack, and then you have the net battles. Although I have yet to try it online, what a great addition!

CONTROL: The control is good, although different. There are many that say this is a big problem with the game. I disagree. It does not hurt the game if you tweak the steering sensitivity. Also, it would have been nice to have the option to use the d-pad. While driving, you have to ease off the accelerator and use the brakes around some of the turns. On my 3rd try, I came in 2nd place against 10 cars. Not bad. Control: 9/10.

VISUALS: Graphics are sweet!! The cars, shading, backgrounds, and the reflection off the cars are very good. Of course, it is much improved over the ''Daytona: Championship Circuit'' (Saturn) game I have. Visuals: 9/10.

SOUNDS: All sounds are very good - announcer, car sound effects, pit crew members, etc. Very nice and nothing overwhelming. The music is good. I did not really notice it that much. It's upbeat and fits the mood of fast racing.
Sound: 9/10.

Overall, this is a great game. Glad I bought it. The only ''bad'' thing about Daytona is that it will be taking up my time... WHEN AM I GOING TO FIND TIME TO PLAY ALL THESE DC RACERS??!! I have Test Drive: Le Mans, Test Drive: V-Rally, Sega Rally 2, Looney Tunes: Space Race, Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2, and others I've been meaning to get into. So, if you're like me, you will pick up this great racer and add it to your collection. Great gameplay, control, visuals, sound effects, and all the modes to keep you playing. The presentation value of this game is also top notch. If you liked Daytona games before, you will like this! Daytona is a lot of fun! Go out and get it!!

Rent/Buy: If you want to rent it instead, go ahead. You'll probably end up buying it anyway. Well worth the wait! Now where's Daytona 2?? :)

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/16/01, Updated 04/16/01