Review by RATM

"Yet another good shooter on the Dreamcast"

Story
I think there is a story there, but I don't really pay that much attention to it. I guess it could be good but I really just wanted to jump in the game quick and start playing. And I don't really understand what is happening with the story between levels, it just looks like a bunch of scrambled pictures to me.
Rating: 8

Graphics
Dated is what I will say here. Capcom should have moved up to high-res for this game. But I guess you could say what is there gets the job done. It's not like it gives me a headache to look at the game, it's just that Capcom could have done a lot better with it. Well what do you expect for 20 bucks anyways.
Rating: 8

Control
Nice rounded responsive controls. I won't complain about anything here. The controls are fully customizable to your liking, and control pad is pretty good for movement of the mosquitoes. I guess the only thing that would be better would be an arcade stick but I'm not going to pay 40 bucks for an arcade stick for a 20 dollar game.
Rating: 9

Game Play
With a nice little array of 20 dollar games coming out, Capcom is really outdoing themselves. This game is a real treat to play. I don't know what keeps me coming back for more: blowing stuff up or the challenge. And what a challenge it is, this is the hardest game I have played in a long time. I guess how you could think of the difficulty as is take Gunbird 2 and multiply it by 4. If you thought Gunbird 2 was hard you are going to have a hard time in Mars Matrix. You have to keep playing to earn points, to buy continues and lives just so you can beat the game for the first time. It is that hard.
Rating: 10

Sound
I can't complain. The music seems pretty cool. Nothing that is really hard on the ears so it's all good. Sound effects are nice, some more enemy ship explosion sound effects would have been nice but it's not that bad. I just found it a little weird when a big huge ship blew up and there was no sound to signify that there was an explosion.
Rating: 9

Replay Value
The difficulty will keep you playing for a long time and when you are done with that the other modes will keep you coming back for more. Just look at the modes: Arcade mode, Elite Mode A, Elite Mode B, Score Challenges, and then you have the shop where you can buy all sorts of goodies with the points that you earn from the game. A nice little 20 dollar package brought to you straight from Capcom.
Rating: 10

Buy or Rent
A really good shooter with a crap load of modes and a crap load of replay value for 20 bucks. I mean you are just asking to get slapped if you are truly asking me that question. This game is awesome and everyone who owns a Dreamcast should own this game.

Overall: 9