Review by Bad News Brown

"From Vulgus to Mars Matrix"

This is my very first review that I'm posting in Gamefaqs so it may not be a great review, but its worth giving a shot.

Today, with the likes of Radiant Silvergun, Bangai-0, and Zero Gunner 2, we see that just your typical shooter where big weapons, bigger enemies and larger-than-life bosses just won't cut it anymore. We see games now being released with these basic concepts along with a twist that makes a shooter unique. Now people might wonder ''A shooter from Capcom?'' and some people went so far as to say that Capcom should just stick to their fighting games. I personally have been playing shooters since Capcom's very first shooter ''Vulgus'' (Which was released in 1984) and I can safely say that Capcom has come a long way.

Gameplay - 9/10

When I first started playing this game, I didn't think much of it, but after about the 3rd or 4th level, I found it impossible to put the controller down. For a game where you can technically use only one button to play, it is quite innovative; and I don't mean it in a way where only one button is held down throughout the entire game, you can do wonders with this button. If you press this button rapidly, you fire your regular weapon. If you hit this button periodically, you do this piercing laser move which has short distance, but does a tremendous amount of damage. And if you hold down this button when your power bar is charged up, depending on how long you hold it for you can absorb the enemy's shots and release the button to use it against them, or just keep holding it down to do a full screen explosion and obliterate almost everything on the screen. That's a lot of variation considering that only one button is used. Beginners who do not play shooters very much will find this game to be a challenge, even in simple mode, but diehard shooter fans (such as myself) will go and devour this game, and believe me, there's a lot to devour.

Story - 7/10

There is a storyline to this game, but that isn't really what is important, after all, it was originally an arcade game, and the storyline usually isn't followed by most players anyway.

Audio/Video - 9/10

Reason that I'm giving this such a high score is although the graphics are what you would expect from even a 16-bit shooter at times, there is absolutely no slow-down whatsoever which is quite impressive for a game where at times, the entire screen is engulfed with enemies and shots. The music also goes great with the action and fits perfectly with the game. Some of the bosses are just spectacular to watch as they open up and attack with ridiculous firepower. All in all, both audio and video are quite well balanced and more importantly, fit with the game.

Replayability - 9/10
This is where the game catches people off guard. You will find yourself playing this game again and again not only for the fact that its so fun to play, but Capcom also put in a Marvel-vs.-Capcom-2ish system for opening new features in the game, which allow you to play and make it farther in the game. I would say that this game can keep you occupied for at least a good week or so, and that's pretty good considering its an arcade game, and give yourself a bit of time, and it will find its way back into your machine again.

Overall 9/10
Well, since you really can't rent Dreamcast games anymore, I believe its a good purchase to make. If you're a player who doesn't think much of shooters, it will keep you occupied for a bit, but if you're a shooter fan, this game will make a great addition to your collection and you will be playing it again and again.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/26/03, Updated 06/26/03