Review by LiMpBiZkitFaN

"Soldier of Fortune is a solid FPS for the DC !"

With Soldier of Fortune out on the Dreamcast, you will likely forget about Half-Life for the Dreamcast.

Audio/Video- 10/10

First of All, the graphics are very impressive for the game being ran on the old Quake II Engine. But there are some flaws within the game, like the very long loading times, ranging from a least a minute. But the levels are huge and very detailed, from the Deserts of Iraq, to the Snowy hills of Siberia. Overall the graphics are impressive, but not as impressive as Quake III Arena for the Dreamcast, but there good. But this game is very violent, I REPEAT very violent, one time I shot a guy one time in the arm, then in the leg, with my 9mm, and he started screaming, and rolling all over the ground, and much worse stuff happens, but the violence is not as bad as it was said to be, I'm only 17, and I'm not messed up yet, but this is definitely NOT a game for 10 year old, and those with weak stomachs. The sound is amazing, everything from the gunfire, to the music, to the footsteps of the enemies, to the sound of spent shell casings hitting the ground, overall the Sound is impressive.

Gameplay- 9/10
The game is playable with the controller, but I recommend going out and buying a Mouse and Keyboard, because it makes it easier to play the game. But if you don't have a Mouse and Keyboard combo, you can use the controller, as there are several pre-set configurations for it, but I recommend buy a Mouse and keyboard, because it gives you better control for all other FPS's, like Quake III Arena, and Unreal Tournament.

Story- 10/10
Of all the FPS's on the Dreamcast, this one has a story, You play John Mullins, and Mercenary for hire, (or as he likes to be called, a 'Consultant' for hire) who works for the U.N. Counter-Terrorist unit. They operate out of an old bookstore, called Laskeys Used Book Store. Your mission is to retrieve 4 stolen Nukes, which are spread out around the world, in locations like Iraq, Kosovo, Japan, and Siberia.

Replayability- 6/10
The game is nice, but doesn't have replay value, but for challenge, beat the game on all difficulty settings, or you could try to discover all 26 Gore Zones. Unfortunately, Soldier of Fortune doesn't have multi-player, which really drags down the game a point, but the single player is really cool, with weapons like the Black Panther 9mm, a Glock-like pistol, and the H-24 Slugthrower, an Assault Rifle-like weapon, that fires Depleted Uranium Slugs, there is also a cool Heavy Machine Gun.

To Buy or to Rent?- BUY!
This game despite its minor flaws, is a solid FPS with good Graphics and Audio, and good Gameplay. And at the price of $39.99, it is a good buy for all FPS fans looking for an over-the-top FPS.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/15/01, Updated 10/09/01