Review by Truck_1_0_1_

"Fatty In the House!"

When I purchased MDK2 for the Dreamcast, I purchased this game along with it. In my MDK2 review, I stated that MDK2 has gotten more play time than Ooga Booga, however both games are just as good in my opinion, and Ooga Booga is far from the bottom of my, "least played," list. Game play will tell you why that is so.

Game play: 8/10

This is such a fun game, that you will ignore the minor flaws... until you start losing at the challenges. Before you can unlock more tribes, masks, locations, etc., the game requires you to complete training challenges. These first few challenges are fun and easy, however about mid-way into the challenges, they become difficult, and highly frustrating. Many a time you will come so close to completing the challenge, and then something stupid will happen, and you fail the challenge. Other than that, Ooga Booga is a great game game play-wise. In these challenges, you will learn how to smack, throw heads, pick up spells, ride boars, and a lot more. There are three different modes; Smackahuna (the basic game. Score points by smacking, running into, or throwing things at adversaries), Rodeo (the same, only you can only score points by running into adversaries), and Boar Polo (ride boars to hit a ball and score points). I find Boar Polo to be the most fun single player, while Smackahuna is far and away the most fun in multi-player. Another area where the game play shines is in multi-player. This is far and away one of the best multi-player games for the Dreamcast, and it was also great online before the servers were sadly shut down. Not much more can be said for game play, unlike the story.

Ooga Booga is the volcanic overlord that lives in the islands around Ooga Booga's world. She has to be pleased, and the only way you can please her is by attacking the other tribes, to see who is tops. Imaginative, though dull story, it does not score too well. Graphics on the other, will score very high.

Awesome, awesome graphics are found in Ooga Booga, some of the Dreamcast's best. Visual Concepts is to thank for this, considering how good their sports titles look on the Dreamcast. each tribe looks unique and colorful, as well as the masks that they wear. The true graphical prowess is on the islands, and backgrounds.They look fantastic, and very well detailed. Sounds are just as good, if not better.

Sounds: 10/10

There is a sound for every little thing in this game, no matter how significant or insignificant it is. Each tribe has its own rally cry, and at the end of the level, up to 4 different taunts. There is also in-game speech. For example, if you are a Fatty, and you anger a Hoo-doo, the Hoo-doo will yell out, "ha ha, foolish Fatty!" Each tribe has their own anger-related yells, and their own cries for when they use different spells. The music is soft and ambient, but really helps along your game playing experience. Replay ability is also a strong point int his game.

Replay ability: 9/10

With the frustration that I spoke about in the game play section, you will be trying to beat this game for a while. If there was still online play, this would be one of the more popular online games to play on the Dreamcast. Sadly though, this is not the case.

Buy or rent?

Like many games, this is a game you buy, and hold onto, for whenever you have a party or if you just want to have some fun. Renting it is fruitless.

You have to hand it to Visual Concepts. They had winners on their hands with their sports titles, and they had a winner on their hand with Ooga Booga. Yes it may be frustrating, yes it may be best when played in multi-player, but one thing is for certain; this is a great game. "Shiver Me Timbers!"

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/09/09

Game Release: Ooga Booga (US, 09/13/01)