Review by Trousers

"This game is DA BOMB! (Ugh, sorry. Had to be said.)"

Well, it seems we're back for another go-round of Bomberman, except this time on the dying system known as the Dreamcast. Bomberman Online is *definitely* worth the $30 it costs.

The cel-shading technique first seen in Jet Grind Radio works really well here. It's thinned down a bit from JGR though, so you can actually see the characters for the most part. The cartoony bosses are a treat to see in action, and everything flows extra smooth. And the anime intro was very spiffy!

The music is really good, but it can get slightly repetitive after a while. And the child's voice the sounds out at match starts, ends, and when you get power-ups gets annoying fairly quick. Most of the SFX (like Bomberman screaming when he gets his arse roasted) are right on the mark though.

Not much of one; Bomberman joins the Bomb-A-Lympics to prove his worth. But the storyline has never been a huge staple of the B-Man games anyway, so we can forgive Hudson this time. :P

Presentation: 7/10
I only have two peeves in this department. One is how if you exit from mid-stage, you're sent all the way back to the Title Screen, which makes Collection Panel searches longer than they need to be. Speaking of the panels, that's peeve #2; you can't use them to outfit your Bomberman in offline multiplayer like you could in Bomberman 64 (1), only in Network mode. So in order to really use those panels to their fullest, you have to pay $9.95 a month. That's sort of a cheap shot. Otherwise, everything's set up fairly nicely.

And this is the whole reason we're here. This rendition of Bomberman contains the oft-enjoyed Survival mode of old-skool Bomberman fame, but it also includes 4 new battle modes that are a quite fun to play. Hyper Bomber and Ring Match are cool. Submarine is interesting idea-wise (Bomberman Battleship!). Panel Paint is hectic. All 5 modes are absolute fun to play, especially with your buds. Even the main game makes equal use of all 5 modes, though it's not quite as fun going through the levels when you could be blowing your friends up instead. I only wish the multiplayer stages could've been a little more environment-friendly (or un-friendly) like in Bomberman 64. Overall though, great stuff.

Replay: 8/10
The main mode of this game will keep you coming back for more until you've picked up all the Collection Panels, at which point it becomes fairly moot. But the multiplayer and network modes will bring you back for as long as you own your DC. Very addictive.

Online: 7?/10
This is a tentative grade; I haven't used the Network mode yet to see for myself (SegaNet's sign up thing is being funny right now). But I hear the game is no less awesome Online, and there's almost no lag most of the time. I imagine 8 people on-screen blowing everything up at once would be pretty sweet. XD

The minor squabbles over this game aren't big enough to make the game unsatisfactory at all. This is a MUST BUY, and I can promise you won't regret it.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/07/01, Updated 11/07/01