Review by MachoMan

"Best SNK game? Probably yes..."

I just got the game and this is the first time I play it...and for straight 3 hours I must add. I've heard lot of good things about this game and let me tell you, Garou: Mark of the wolves did not disappoint me.

Graphically (8/10)
------------------

Mark of the wolves is the best looking game from SNK. The game is base on the old 10 years old Neo-Geo board and the animation is incredible. How did they do it? I don't know but the animation does rival with those found in Street Fighter 3 (CPS3 board). The character looks really cool just like those from The King of Fighters/Real Bout series but with much more smoother animations. Background are very well animated. Is it the best 2D looking game? In my opinion, Capcom vs SNK 2 is the best overall looking game (great balance between characters design, animation, special effect, background, etc). I give it 8/10, because I know that the Dreamcast can deliver much more for the color palette, high resolution, etc. But hey, it's a straight port from another system that is 10 years old. What more can we ask :)

Sound/Music (7/10)
------------------

Nothing special here...The sound effect is very similar to The King of Fighters series. Personally, I didn't pay much attention to the background music yet but I remember it to be very standard. Street Fighter 3:Third Strike and Street Alpha 3 were the one that hook me up the most in this department recently.

Gameplay (9.5/10)
---------------

This is where it's really important in my opinion. Like I said earlier, I just spend only 3 hours with this game so I don't know the game a 100%. In general, it is much like the King of Fighters series with the 4 buttons layout. The new system feature is quite different. Much like the parrying system found in Street Fighter 3. The only difference is that you have to tap backward instead of forward. Other then this, I will not go far in this beacause I don't really know from where to start.

Overall (9/10)
---------------

The is certainly one of the best SNK game of all time. In my book, this is the third best 2D fighting game after Capcom vs SNK 2 and Street Fighter Alpha 3. It may goes up or down in my ranks only time will tell. I hope that they will finally abandon the old Neo Geo board and started to work on a new board so that we can have the quality graphic of Guilty Gear X with the best gameplay from the SNK team.

Rent it or buy?
---------------

Always rent it first if possible. But if you know what you want like as I do (i like 2D fighting games a lot) then you know what to do.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/02/01, Updated 10/02/01