Review by packiest

"Not a good game, but certainly not bad if you're just looking for a little fun."

I just picked this game up yesterday, just to get another game because I had another $10 left to spend. Initially, I was a bit unsure of making the purchase, considering how bad I heard it was, but I bought it anyway.

Think of Max Steel as a Metal Gear Solid type of game. You walk around in different levels(outdoor and indoor), kill people, sneak around, get keys to open doors, etc. The only catch is that that's about all you do. It's kinda like MGS boiled down to it's bare essentials.

GAMEPLAY 6/10
Like I said, it's an attempt at a MGS clone. It's a failed attempt, to be honest, but at the same time, it's somewhat valiant. You'll most likely be quite impressed in the opening level or two, but there's just not enough variety. You tend to do the same things over and over again. What's here is quite good, but there needs to be some variety, and a little complexity. Things are just a bit too simplistic. Also, where's the enemy AI??? Enemies see you, and they just run up to you for you to pound the everlasting piss out of them(or shoot them). They don't try to find cover or anything like that, they just run up to you. Bosses are the same way. And considering bosses are usually slow, you can just run circles around them and keep getting health packs so you stay healthy. Also, with the addition of stealth and turbo mode, things can be a bit too easy. Overall, not bad, but there could be MUCH more to offer. Also, the control feels a bit lose. The control isn't bad, but it's just not as tight and accurate as it could be.
GRAPHICS 8/10
I was initially impressed by the graphical engine of this game. Quite impressive really. The models all look good, and show some good texture detail as well. Another great thing is that the framerate is a pretty constant 30fps. While nothing stands out, it is a very clean looking game. It certainly doesn't show off the power of the Dreamcast, but there are absolutely no major flaws.
SOUND 4/10
Ouch. This is where the game really lacks. First of all, there are VERY few sound effects. There's very little character sounds like grunts, footsteps, etc, no action sounds, and so on. And there are no ambient sound effects at all. Takes away quite a bit from the mood. Another thing, backround music plays the whole time you're playing. Yeah, you can turn it off, but you won't want to since the sound effects are so blah.
LASTING APPEAL 4/10
With all of the repetition, you might have trouble just trying to finish the game, much less replaying it. Like I said before, what is here isn't bad, but there isn't much here.

In the end, it's not a bad game. If you've got an extra $10, and just want another game to have a little fun with, get it, but don't expect a masterpiece.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 04/04/02, Updated 04/04/02