Review by james3000gore

"Wow. This Game is Fun."

I've never heard of the cartoon but it doesn't really matter. Max Steel is an amazing game. While games like Donkey Kong 64 and WWF Smackdown! 2 are somewhat enjoyable, they have trouble keeping one entertained enough to stick it out to the end. Max Steel is fun throughout but ends too quickly.

You are, of course, Max Steel, a superhuman with special powers caused by an accident. It's your basic good guy versus bad guy premise. Max has to save his ''dad'' and stop D.R.E.A.D. He has a sidekick with him named Berto who communicates to him throughout the game by voice-link. Berto offers clues throughout the game. Max chases the D.R.E.A.D. through 7 different environments to prevent them from taking over the world.

This game is like an almost linear third-person shooter. What I mean by linear is that you seldom can go on your own and pick the route on which you want to go. It makes me think of what a platforming shooter would be like in 3D (and done properly). There are plenty of puzzles. These puzzles offer a nice balance to what would just simply a game in which you shoot everything in site. The bosses are quite challenging. You'll probably die a couple of times trying to find their weak spots. There is no multiplayer option. Why they didn't put one in is beyond me. There are also no extras, which is a big blow for a game that can be finished in only a few hours. Still, a very fine product.

Graphics 6.0

These graphics remind me of Perfect Dark but not as blurry. Everything looks really blocky. The way Max moves sometimes is bizarre. The outdoor environments look really weird. I don't know which planet they're on but it looks like that sky is about to die. Still, everything has a crisp, minty fresh look to it. Even if it's really weird looking

Game Control 8.0

In-game instruction helps out for this weird button layout and insane controls. Cycling to pick the right weapon in a clutch situation is quite difficult to do. Jumping ticks me off. Trying to pull off a side jump is quite hard. Everything else though is great. I like the fact that you must disarm yourself to press a button or use a computer.
It's more realistic.

Replay 6.0

What? That's it? But I was just getting started. This game only lasts a couple of hours. There are no extras nor is there a multiplayer mode. What saves the replay factor is the fact that this game is hard to turn off. You'll enjoy playing this game that you'll want to keep playing. Also, you get to raise the difficulty level.

Sound 10

Great background music. It's gritty and rocking. It fits the gameplay perfectly. The sound effects are perfect as well. Everything sounds so real. And the voice-over acting in the FMVs are superb.

Game Design 8.0

A great game with two major flaws. Lack of multiplayer and the shortness of the game. What the hell were they thinking? Another complaint some may have would be the lack of weapon selection. There are only three guns in the game. However, I find that it's all I really need and anything else would just be superficial.

Satisfaction 10

I haven't had this much fun playing a game in quite a while. A must-play game. Get it now.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/23/02, Updated 04/23/02