Review by RoyalShine

"Getting old? I don't think so!"

I've always been a fan of Pokemon from the moment it came out until now. I've played and beaten every Pokemon game out there except for Green, which I can't get my hands on. When Pokemon Black/White 2 were scheduled for release, I couldn't wait. Little did I know that it was going to be better than I expected!

Gameplay: -/10
What could I say? Anyone familiar with any Pokemon game (or Pokemon in general) is bound to know that it's the same basic concept. You pick a starter, catch Pokemon, fight trainers, defeat the eight Gym Leaders, beat the bad guys, defeat the Elite Four. Nothing much to say about it, although I really do like the medal system they added in. It's a fun little change to the game.

The thing that's changed from the first Black/White it's a sequel! Unlike games like Platinum and Crystal, it's not the same game around a different legendary. It's placed two years after, with many towns changed, and a couple new places to explore! Plus, they don't have the crappy beginning Pokemon like Lillipup and Patrat like the original Black/White had. It starts with many Pokemon from each generation! I can't say much without spoiling the game, but I really enjoyed it! A lot of loose ends were tied and Team Plasma looks way cooler!

Pokemon always seems to get better graphics with every game. I'm loving every little detail. I love the 3D effects, the textures, the animation, the characters, the moves, EVERYTHING. Half the time, I loved wandering around the cities just to look at all of the landscapes and scenery.

Pokemon has (as far as I know) always left its fans with some awesome, nostalgic music, whether it's upbeat or slow, scary or sad, happy or excited. Hell, even my old man recognizes Pokemon songs from the past generations! I also like that (like in Black/White) the battle music changes when you're on red health. As far as I know, I don't really need to go into the sound effects. Sound effects don't need to be discussed.

Duration: 10/10
Let's face it, the medal thing is really cool. It gives you a reason to try to complete the game as much as possible! The main story line lasts for quite a while, as all Pokemon story lines do, and then there's a lot of things you can do after. You can train you're Pokemon, catch 'em all, complete Black Tower and White Treehollow, compete in the Pokemon World Tournament, battle in the Battle Subway, build your Join Avenue, get to know the trainer Yancy/Curtis, make movies, perform in a musical, explore the ancient ruins, achieve medals....the fun seems to never end!

Replayability: 7/10
I have to be honest with this one. Theoretically, you could start over when you get bored and play through again. The story line is interesting enough to be played through again. However, if you're like me, and you transfer all of your Pokemon from your old games and you fill up your Pokedex and complete many other activities in the game, you won't want to start over. However, once the newer games get released and you transfer your Pokemon into that game, you might come back to you're old Black/White 2 and want to play it over just for sentimental reasons.

Conclusion:
I really enjoyed this game! It was the first sequel of any Pokemon version yet, and it was very interesting to see how this played out. People might say they're milking our money, but I don't think that's necessarily true. I think they feel that they don't have to change much of the game to keep us happy. This game was definitely worth the $40 that I paid to get it. I got 200 hours of gameplay on it, and I don't think I'm going to stop any time soon!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/31/12

Game Release: Pokemon Black Version 2 (US, 10/07/12)