Review by ReploidProtoman

"Impressive Single Player, but astounding multiplayer"

To start things off: if you liked the old fashioned non-Prime metroid games, you may like this. Now, if you liked Prime, a lot, then you are very likely to adore this game's single player aspect.

Metroid Prime Hunters features a single player that is very similar in quality to Metroid Prime (1) but it lacks the endless void of dungeon-to-dungeon-to-dungeon feeling of Metroid Prime 2.

I give this a "perfect score" on the basis of it's system and said systems current line-up; not that this game doesn't have a slight flaw, but I'll discuss that later on. The interface of MPH involves you viewing the world through a first person perspective, aside from alt. forms, and using a mixture of scanning and, more notably by far, shooting of enemy units and rival bounty hunters.
Whether you use Samus' main "Arm Cannon", her missiles, the various other weapons, or keep a good balance of all of them, you'll probably never feel as if you're lacking in options to use in your offense. Just like in the other Prime games, it's fairly easy to maneuver in her morph ball form, especially so in the designated times in which you'll need to use the form to progress through a planet's "dungeon."

As of this moment in DS "history", it's hard to express how impressed I am at the graphics in this game. Worlds are easily viewable, despite the small screen size comparatively to the world being viewed itself. Headshots are even easily possible in a game of this scale. The only complaint I had was when you see a rival hunter somewhat close up, Kanden is probably the best example the "blurry face syndrome," but it's nothing one would really be bothered by unless they spend their gaming days on an HDTV.

Despite what other's say, I was, am, and will continue to be impressed by the depth of the story-mode. The story mode, dubbed "Adventure Mode", is based around a part of the galaxy, a single solar system as far as I can tell, where a great warrior race had existed, at least until a fateful event unfolded. I'll leave it to the reader to find out what happened to them, but needless to say, you spend the game scanning artifacts and ancient computers learning about the rise and sudden fall of a race who devoted their death to a very important cause. Find out what they meant by "Ultimate Power."

Multiplayer: 10/10
It's almost inconceivable how good a job they did on multiplayer. From Single Card "Samus versus Anyone else in a timed death match mode" to Nintendo WiFi with a rather detailed non-friendcode game search option this game surpasses it's fan's expectations. As an added bonus, you can also include bots which, by my non-expertise at FPS's, I found to be very challenging and oddly intelligent for DS-level AI. You can choose to play this game in several modes including: Death Match (timed), Survival (limited lives), Bounty (Captures the Flag-ish), Prime Hunter (Tag/It basically), Defender (King of The Hill-ish), Capture (A match where you try to retrieve Octoliths and take them to your base for points), and Nodes (score points by standing in a "node ring" and hold ground long enough to capture them). Needless to say, there are an unprecedented number of options for a hand-held game contained within this popular and long awaited game.

Replay Value: 10/10

I have yet to beat single player, but I can see how it would be fun to repeat it later on after losing the feeling of playing it. Multiplayer-wise, though, I could keep this up for a very, very long time. Seven somewhat different characters to use in matches with people from around the world? Sounds like a long-term commitment for me.

Final Score: 9/10
Over-all, this is a game which is often considered overhyped, and underdeveloped in the single player department, but from my experience, as a non-FPS "generation" guy, this is by no means a disappointment.

Reviewer's Rating:   4.5 - Outstanding

Originally Posted: 04/03/06

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.