Review by Desulated

"A must have. Become the hunter or become the hunted!"

Hi everyone! This is Desulated and I'll be giving you a review about the game Metroid Prime Hunters for the Nintendo DS.

A brief overview for newbies, for those who don't know what the series is

Ahhh....Samus Aran. The heroine bounty hunter. All long time Nintendo Gamers should know her. We all knew about her battles with the Space Pirates on Zebes and their sinister plans to use the Metroid as a bio-weapon. She has battled the deadly Metroids on several occassions then later exterminated the entire population of them, came across the lethal and deadly poison known as Phazon, saved an entire planet known as Aether from a dark fate as well as fighting a dark and twisted version of herself, and as well getting infected with a fatal parasite known as the X and survived to battle them aboard an infested space station, and eventually destroying them all. Now, she has a new challenge: to find the key to the "Ultimate Power" while battling other competent bounty hunters that also want the power for themselves.

How it all began...

In 2004, the first Nintendo DS was released and sold in stores. Included in the new DS that were sold was a free demo of Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt. This was the beginning of a new legend anf revolution for FPS games. Two years after that, and after several disappointing delays, the revolutionary FPS shooter (and of coruse the full complete version) was released: Metroid Prime Hunters.

So why did I give this game such a high score? Well of course this game has its ups and downs. As we go along this review, I will tell you what parts of this game is great and what parts of it are just plain horrible. Let's Go!

Sound 8/10

Even though it doesn't have a variety of music unlike the other Metroid Prime games, The creepy and ambient music will keep you alert (especially when you go in rooms with creatures inside statis tanks, gives you a bone chilling feeling down your spine, often a tradition in all Metroid games) and the fast-paced music during boss battles will be adrenline-pumping. Also the music isn't choppy or has static sounds as it plays (which is good,) plus the quality of the music is great, even for two tiny speakers on your handheld system. Although two giant stereo speakers for your gaming console is better, dual small speakers is never too bad, especially since you can take it on the go.

Single-player 5/10

Not so great. Why? Well for me it took me only a mere 6 hours to beat such a game. For the other Metroid Prime games I've played (I've only played Metroid Prime, too lazy to get Echoes) it took me roughly like 100 hours to beat, since you need to explore literally every corner and hallway you find. For Metroid Prime Hunters, there's only a mere 4 worlds that aren't very large. But there is a reason why I finished the single-player storyline: to unlock new arenas and hunters for mutiplayer. Yes, you have to finish single-player if you want to unlock new stuff for multiplayer. Boss battles are also sort of crap, too- there's only like 2 major bosses to fight- and the big bad boss known as Gorea at the end of the story (the 6 other hunters you face are not considered as bosses, as they only interfere with you along the story in an attempt to steal your Octoliths, so you have to fight them and fend them off) Oh, and the exploring part of this game is also why this game deserves a not-so great score. It takes nearly forever to explore every section and area in the game, plus this wastes your time. Even though single-player is somewhat a waste of time, it's worth it in the end when you go play in multiplayer or Wi-Fi connection.

The storyline to the single player mode also doesn't seem to fit into the Metroid Prime tradition. In both Prime games, you explore an entire planet to find the cause of something that destroyed and/or corrupted the planet. However, for Metroid Prime Hunters, you travel to different planets and space stations to obtain keys and secrets in order to acquire the Ultimate Power, while trying to keep it out of the other 6 hunters' hands. Since this makes Metroid Prime Hunters much different from Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, it doesn't make this game a "true" Metroid Prime game.

Graphics 9/10

The graphics are stunning. Ok, so it doesn't compare to the other graphic technology to other console games. But hey, this game does have good graphics for a system like a DS. In my opinion, Metroid Prime Hunters is probably the best first person shooter/adventure game for the DS right now, and don't even tell me about FPS games for Game Boy games-they suck ass so bad. In Metroid Prime Hunters, there is absolutely no choppy waves, distorted graphics or any lag, so the graphics for this game does deserve a good score. Hey, what would you expect from a portable game system? This game's graphics is excellent for a portable gaming system.

Controls 8/10

The controls are easy to get used to, unlike the Metroid Prime series. Those controls took me hours to get used to! But for Metroid Prime Hunters, it took me a mere 10 minutes. Aiming in this game is too darn easy, as all you need to do was use the touch screen to move the crosshair and squeeze the L button. This game is great for any person, as the controls can be familiarized within 30 minutes. The reason I gave this game an 8 out of 10 is for one reason- using the controls can really hurt your arm a lot, especially when your holding your DS with one had and using one finger to shoot for endless hours. If you don't like your current controls, change them and try and get used to at least one of them. Resting your hands after endless hours of shooting is recommended.

Multiplayer 9/10

This is perhaps what makes this game deserve such a high score. Of course it's the new wireless link and Wi-Fi connection! With both of these, you and your friends can challenge each other to see who is the hunter and who is the hunted. Wireless link is good for a few reasons: you can play with your friends anywhere, anytime, as long you all have a Metroid Prime Hunters game card (you can also do single link, but it won't be as much fun, since players without the game card will only be able to play as Samus) plus you don't need to bring annoying stuff like link cables as in older game boy models. Now let's talk about Wi-Fi connection. With this, you can challenge anyone in the world, as long you're at an internet Hotspot (I'm sorta a newbie at this so don't ask me about Wi-Fi stuff =P) and the fun can basically never end since there's always someone waiting to challenge you. With this new function, this game becomes the next generation FPS online game that can be played anywhere! Also you can make new friends by playing this game. There's one more major factor that makes this game great: the 6 new hunters. All of them have unique abilities and weapons, several strengths and weaknesses, and so on. For example, Noxus can freeze enemies for a few seconds with a charged Judicator shot, and Spire can set his enemies on fire with a charged Magmaul blast. I recommend you to try out all the Hunters, since they all have different strengths and weaknesses. With sevenHunters and thier lethal weapons and equipment at your disposal, you will never be bored of this game since there is always a new hunter waiting to challenge you.

But for every good game there are cons. The biggest con for Wi-Fi multiplayer is, of course, HACKERS. Yes, there are hackers on Metroid Prime Hunters, and they can really spoil your game. Noob disconnectors are also another bad thing about the game- they start getting massive deaths and they'll disconnect to avoid losing too much points.

And one more thing: there's a secret weapon that's ONLY available in one mulitplayer level AND it can only be unlocked by beating the single player mode...and believe me, this weapon is the strongest weapon you'll ever find in the game.

In conclusion,

This game is a MUST HAVE. I also mean BUY this game. renting this game is not a really good idea because you'll have to pay extra when you actually buy the real thing. If you own a DS and you are looking for your first game, add this to your first list of options, because it is one of the best FPS games available for the DS right now. Right now, you can probably get this game at most major stores that sell video games like EB Games, Best Buy and Toys "R" Us. In my opinion, buy it with the Wi-Fi USB connector. Once you have it, start hunting for new adversaries. So pick a hunter and get out there! Happy Hunting!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/17/07