Review by chunkyliver1204

"Samus has some competition nowadays... NOT!"

When I first heard of this game, I thought, I need this! I love Metroid, and I'll never stop loving it. I've played every one of the games (excluding the pinball game). This one, in my opinion, stands shoulder to shoulder with the other Primes. Is that a good thing? Oh hell yes!

Now Metroid isn't exactly big on plots most of the time. This, however, has the deepest plot I've seen so far... well, for a Metroid game that is. A distant system that once was made home by an ancient alien race that perished tens of thousands of years ago has started to act up recently. It sent signals in thousands of languages all throughout the universe. It said that within that system, one could find the "Ultimate Power". Samus is sent to investigate. She isn't the only one however. Six other bounty hunters are all after the same thing. Sylux, Weavel, Kanden, Noxus, Spire, and Trace are the new faces (though I'm not sure some actually have faces) you'll find in this most recent Metroid masterpiece. You must collect Octiliths, which hold the key to the ultimate power.

Game play: 10/10

Fantabulous. The strong point of all Metroid games. The level design feels more linear than the previous Primes, but they're still impressive for the little system that could. As you progress through the story, you still have your trusty scan-visor, so use it! You'll also fight all the other bounty hunters who will do anything they can to stop you and get what you're after. If you are defeated by a bounty hunter, they will steal your Octiliths and you must defeat them to regain them. While you explore the four planets, you'll find weapons that will help you access previously inaccessible doors and parts of the planet. These weapons you find are bounty hunter specific, they use one of these when you fight them. Enemies have no real pattern they use as far as I can tell, save for a few that only have one basic attack. My favorite thing about this franchise is that the game makes you feel as though you can very easily die, even though the game is actually a very moderately difficult game. It just has the feel of the unknown, and it's almost scary. All in all, this is the best part of the game.

In my opinion, these are the best on the DS currently. The levels are nearly as detailed as the console versions. The enemies are immensely detailed. All the movies are amazing, even if some are only about five seconds long. There's nothing to complain about here.

Metroid has always captured the sci-fi music feel. The mechanisms sound very futuristic. The mood of the game makes you feel as though any sound could trigger an enemy to come and attack. Some harmless noises, such as a teleport panel, even made me jump because the environments are so ingeniously silent. They seem like you're interfering with the peace of the planet and it wants you out.

Control: 8/10

The controls are great, but they feel slightly cramped. At first, they feel kind of awkward because the control scheme doesn't give you the classic lock-on system. You have to aim yourself. So for all you lousy shots who depend on the lock-on system, uh, play this anyway. After a while, the controls will feel second nature. Using the stylus to aim is very precise and double tapping the touch screen to jump isn't as annoying as it sounds. There's also a lefty control scheme that is a life saver for all you guys (not me though ^_^).

Multiplayer: 10/10

Finally, a reason to have a multiplayer. In a lot of ways, this mode is a hell of a lot better than single player. You can even play against the AI by yourself. The online experience is enough to buy this game alone.

Do yourself a favor, buy this.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/24/06