Review by Riphamilton32

"Excellent WiFi, single player can be worked on a bit"

Wow. This seems to be a repeating pattern in all the WiFi games. Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and now Metroid Hunters all share one thing in common - horrid single player, fun on-line play.

Now, the story takes place with Samus' as the main character, of course. A telepathic message was sent out, saying "The power lies in the Alimbic Cluster" or something along the lines of that. Samus must visit Alimbic and "if the power is seizable, seize it. Otherwise, destroy it." There are 6 other hunters, and along the way, you will have to fight them.

In my opinion, this game destroyed all of what the Prime series is about. It isn't a 3D roaming world - you must go into your ship to leave one of the four worlds - yes, there's only 4 different places to visit. Two space stations and two planets. Not so fun, eh? Now, its not AS bad as it sounds - you have to return to all of the levels often in order to unlock other doors that you previously couldn't touch. But, still, I find it odd that they chose not to include more stages.

Visuals and sound are great. The graphics are EXCELLENT, and, in my opinion, the cutscenes exceed PS2 gameplay (in account of graphics). The music and sound is excellent, and keeps you on edge.

Now, one of the final single player aspects I must talk about is the controls. What about the controls? They suck. Horribly. Now, we all know that the Gamecube's controls were excellent. The DS has ALL of the same buttons as the Gamecube version did (excluding Z, which could be substituted for SELECT). Why didn't they use the same control scheme? I can't figure it out. Although there are 5 controls schemes, there are two main things that they are based off of:

1. Arrows to move Samus, stylus to move gun, L shoots and double tapping (ugh) the touch screen is to jump
2. Arrows to move Samus, ABXY to move gun

In both modes, you have to touch the bottom screen to switch weapons and enter morph ball mode! The controls are HORRID!

I have saved the best for last: WiFi. This is by far the best part of the game. There's voice chat and 7 battle modes! Too bad Nintendo sort of ruined that, too.

You can go to "Find Game" and play with people - no voice chat, no option select. Or, you can go throw the painstaking process of getting friends, making games, and finding people to play. That's the not-so-good part. Oh. And you can only talk before and after games - not during. I know, what the hell?

There is also another bad part - you can not add anyone to your friends list without DISCONNECTING, then RECONNECTING over and over again.

But, gameplay is excellent. Most of the 7 modes are very fun, and with 7 different hunters, there is a great variety!

If you have WiFi, buy this game. If you don't have WiFi, don't buy this game.

Final:

Gameplay: 7
Sounds: 10
Graphics: 10
Controls: 4
WiFi: 10
Story: 8
Final(average): 8.1 (rounded to 8)

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/24/06, Updated 03/27/06