Review by Compuman

"The top Metroid game"

I have known, like many others, ever since I first bought the ds that there would be a real metroid: prime hunters for the ds because of the demo. I never thought it was this good.

Story 9/10
The story is pretty good. You have to travel to four different planets (not counting the final one) and get the eight ocoliths which hold the key to ultimate power. This means you have to travel to each planet twice, which means more surprises. Along the way, you will fight six other bounty hunters who are also searching for the ultimate power. What I liked about this metroid game was that it wasn't as long as all the other ones, but still provided many challenges. The reason I gave this section a nine out of ten was because the final boss turned out to be a piece of cake, I expected more, but it is still pretty hard for first timers.

Gameplay 10/10
I loved the gameplay for this game. As I mentioned before, you have to go collecting ocoliths which you will get from defeating non bounty hunter bosses. If you lose to a bounty hunter, he steals your ocolith and you must defeat him to get it back. For weapons, you start off with the power beam and five missles. Along the way, you gain missle exapansion packs and universal ammo expansions for your third weapon which can be one of six and you can switch off with another one of the six at any time but you can only have one equipped at a time.

Controls 10/10
The controls were awesome in this game. There are 4 different modes: Stylus mode right, stylus mode left, dual mode left, and dual mode right. I prefer using stylus mode right because it is the easiest for me to use, but all 4 are good. If you use the stylus, you control the bottom screen and move samus's visor as well as fire and equip weapons and use the scan visor, pretty much everything is done on the bottom screen.

Sound 9/10
The sound was pretty good, it definitely suited the metroid vibe. It's not one of the more exciting parts of the game, but it was definitely great.

Graphics 10/10
The graphics were as good as the console metroid games. All of the fights, and especially the in-game cutscenes which you can view anytime as soon as you have seen them once. Defintitely superb on nintendo's part!

Multiplayer 10/10
This may very well be the best part of the entire game. Like most DS games, it comes with multiplayer functions. It has single card download and multi-card download and is wi-fi compatible, which means you can play people from around the world. You can use any hunters that you have unlocked as well as play on any stages that you have unlocked. Wi-fi is definitely one of the top reasons to play this game. There are also different modes to multiplayer such as battle, prime hunter, and defender.

Overall 10/10
This is one of the best DS games up to date. Even if you do not have wi-fi, you should still buy it for the single player, even though wi-fi makes it fun, though wi-fi is not everything.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/03/06