Review by _NFK_

"The best Mario Kart game ever, plain and simple."

Mario Kart DS. Nintendo's first true attempt at the online gaming world. Is it a sucess? Well, the game is, but the WiFi needs work.

Sound 8.4/10

I love some of the tunes on tracks. The only drawback to that is that you don't wanna get caught humming them in class. The sounds are good too. All your classic Mario Kart sounds. But the voices can get on your nerves. I'm usually not one to be nitpicky on this kind of thing, but I know it annoys the crap out of some people. You'll hear the same grunts, laughs, taunts, or whatever whenever you hit or pass another character.

Graphics 8.6/10

Very good. The graphics are vibrant, colorful, and overall nice to look at. The only complaint is that some of the polygons look kind of "mushy". But this is a handheld we're talking about, its not supposed to have console graphics. Bottom line: its some of the best graphics on the DS.

Gameplay 9.4/10

This game is so awesome. If the graphics were a peice of crap and the music made your ears bleed it'd still be worth it to buy this game. Basically I think most of you reading this know the usual drill. You race around as one of you're favorite Mario characters and shoot items such as banana peels, shells, and lots of other things. Although this game is somewhat lacking in a ton of short cuts it doesn't even matter. There is sixteen brand new tracks. A lot of them are awesome (IE: Airship Fortress, Waluigi Pinball) but there is a couple of bad ones like Figure-8 Circuit. Along with your sixteen new tracks you get a "Retro Cup". In Retro Cup you get another sixteen tracks. These tracks vary from Mario Kart 64, Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart: Super Circuit and Mario Kart: Double Dash.

Also in this game there is the brand new Mission Mode. This is every Mario Kart's fan dream. Basically you do stuff from driving backwards, collecting coins, using green shells to take out bosses (Such as King Bob-Omb from Super Mario 64), Driving through rings, and all sorts of stuff. Not only is this really fun but it actually does improve your skill.

Time Trials are better than ever. They're more addicting than in any other Mario Kart game because of these new things called "Staff Ghosts". You get to race the ghost of someone who actually helped make this game. It's really rewarding when you beat one of these guys for the first time. Even though it doesn't unlock anything, you get bragging rights.

But the biggest addition of all is... WIFI! Now you don't have to gather up your friends, you can just go online and play. This adds a TON of replay value. Now there is a few problems. Searching. Searching sucks out loud. There is nothing good nor fun about it. Basically you sit there with 3 little boxes on the screen. You hope and pray they all light up so you can play someone. Once you finally get a game going, if you actually like the person you played, you can't exchange friend codes because there is no chat.

Friend codes are another problem. They might be the worst idea of this entire thing. You have to enter this long string of numbers that's a pain in the butt. Not all tracks are playable either. Of the 32 tracks only 20 of them can be played (Unless you hack). Nintendo also decided to leave out some of the best tracks for the online mode, like Airship Fortress and Waluigi Pinball. Unfortuantly, there is no battle mode online this time around. But there is Battle mode bots so you can play by your self. Despite all this, I can over look it and have fun on WiFi just because the game itself is fun.

Replay Value 9.7/10

I got this game years ago and I'm still playing it today. Between Wi-Fi and Time Trials the fun never ends. There is four unlockable characters, Waluigi, Daisy, Dry Bones, and R.O.B (R.O.B is not from a Mario game, he is was actually an NES add-on that never really became popular). And not to mention plenty of Karts, Mirror Mode, Mission Mode, and stars next to your name to unlock. This game will keep you busy for a long time.

Buy, Rent, or Burn?

This is certainly, without a doubt worth the money. Just get this game. Really though, you shouldn't even be reading this review because you should of had this game a long time ago.

This is a great game. If you don't love this game then I'm not sure why you wouldn't. I can almost garuntee you will AT LEAST like this game.

Sound {8.4/10}
Graphics {8.6/10}
Gameplay {9.6/10}
Replay Value {9.7/10}

Overall Score {9.7/10} (not an average)

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/13/07

Game Release: Mario Kart DS (US, 11/14/05)