Review by thecheese103

"Please keep all shells inside the vehicle while driving."

Hello! The game I am reviewing is Mario Kart DS, a Nintendo DS title.

This game, Mario Kart DS, was released a long time before the review, in late 2005. Now it is still one of the most popular DS games out there. Many it is well known to the public, most people who have a Nintendo DS have the game, while some enjoy playing it multiplayer with friends using DS download play. That's how I came to own the game, and now let me recommend the game to you.

The gameplay in the game was amazing, you can choose from 12 characters from the Mario franchise, including Mario, Luigi, and my Favorite, Yoshi. The game lacked a story mode, but made up for it with it's outstanding gameplay. You can choose from about 36 different karts by the time you have completed the game. You start the game with 2 different karts per character. You unlock different characters, karts, and courses by completing different courses, and beating them while trying to win trophies for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. In Grand Prix mode, you can select form the difficulties of 50cc, 100cc, and 150cc.(their is also a 4th mode to unlock) Then you race in 4 different courses to see if you can win the cup. The actual racing is fun and entertaining, you can choose from different game modes, Grand Prix, VS, Time Trials, and etc. You can race with courses from Mario Kart games from the Nintendo 64, the Game Boy Advanced, and Gamecube. There are even some new courses exclusive for the Nintendo DS! The game made a decent use of the bottom touch screen, as it is were you make your selection for the modes that you play in, and where you can draw emblems for your kart that you use to race. You can also use multiplayer functions to enhance the Time trials mode by downloading some of your friends courses wirelessly, and can race against them! I won't spoil all of the games features, this is scratching the surface of what the game has in store for you!

Sounds: 9/10

The game has many different sounds, just about every course has a different soundtrack. Of course, what would a game be without its different sound effects? All of the racing contains different sound effects, for things like hitting your opponents with items, hitting a turbo boost while flying past the other racers, and unfortunately, for those late starts and hitting obsticles. Each character has their own dialouge for the many things that happen in the game, like being selected as the person you are playing as, being hit by your enemies, and of course, winning a race.There are very few cons to the sounds, Nintendo did a very good job making them, and they deserve the high rating.

The game had some awesome 3-D graphics, each course had its own unique 3-D graphics that made use of the two screens of your DS system. Each character and kart had great graphics, their might have been the occasional thing that could have had some room for some improvement, but that's what we have sequels for, nothing wrong with it though. Each you can even design your own emblem using the stylus, which is on the graphics of your kart. Of course I won't spoil all of it, as I already said.

Multiplayer: 10/10

The multiplayer modes of this game are, in my opinion, its best feature. Let me explain why. The game has several different multiplayer modes. One of them, simple mode, uses the DS download play feature of your system, so that you only need one Mario Kart DS game, but systems for everyone playing. This way it can save you all some money, but this way only the one with the game can choose characters, everyone else has to play as the slow Shy Guy from the Mario series. The other mode is for other people who own Mario Kart DS and a DS system. The same as simple mode, except you can all choose characters from your games that you have unlocked. In both of these modes, you can have up to 8 different players, but you can use CPU characters to fill empty slots. The last multiplayer mode is over Nintendo Wifi Connection. You can race against players form over your region, country, and world. In this mode you can have up to four different players in a race, and from their it is pretty much the same as Grand Prix mode, but everybody can select the tracks they want to race on.

Controls: 8/10

I really liked the controls of the game, they are real suitable for the game. For instance, standard handheld Mario Kart controls for the most part, hold A to go, Hold B to reverse/brakes, Control pad to move and etc. But in the DS you can use the touch screen as a mini map, Use X to throw and use your Items, and so on. They are very easy to understand controls, and perfect for new players to understand.

Final Recommendation

This is a really great game for the Nintendo DS. If you have a Nintendo DS, friends who have a DS, and like racing games, you should definetely try to get the game.

Overall Rating: 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/25/08

Game Release: Mario Kart DS (US, 11/14/05)