Review by goppers

"Another great remake of the classic Mario Kart"

Mario Kart DS, my personal favorite DS game I own, is a great game to play. My favorite part is the races themselves. But, as everyone else has a least-favorite part, I do too. I dislike the item graphics completely.

Story: ? / 10

There basically is no apparent story of any Mario Kart game, so that applies here for Mario Kart DS. If there is supposed to be one, I would say it is this: "Mario Kart DS's story seems to be that Mario has challenged his friends and enemies to a racing game." So, all in all, I can't give you a rating for the story.

Graphics: 8 / 10

The graphics of this game are very good, but I have three problems with them. The first one is the items on the the touch screen. In my opinion, and other people's opinions, the items on the bottom screen look fairly two dimensional. I also dislike that the shells don't spin, unlike the Mario Kart release before this one, Mario Kart: Double Dash. My second problem you might not understand. To me, the graphics look "blocky." They look like people tried too hard to make them three dimensional. Other than those problems, the graphics are great.

Racetracks: 9 / 10

The races themselves are very strange, like Waluigi Pinball. The majority of the race tracks are great, but a few of them I don't like much at all, including Shroom Ridge, Peach Gardens, and the re-make version of GCN Yoshi Circuit. The rest of the race courses are excellent, especially Airship Fortress, and it's giant cannon.

Wi-fi: 2 / 10

Mario Kart DS has a very bad Wi-fi rating for several reasons. One is that it is filled with cheaters who know every shortcut, have unlimited star power, and finish a lap in half the time normal players do. A second reason is that not all the races are available. Why not? All the tracks on Wii are available. A third reason is that the connectivity is extremely slow. It takes a million years to log on and find enough people to race with. There is nothing good about Wi-fi for Mario Kart.

Amusement: 8 / 10

Overall, this game is more amusing than most. It's funny to hit other people with items, and (for me) its so easy to beat the COM's. What I don't like about it is that, if you are good(I don't mean to brag, but like me), you are constantly getting hit by blue shells. It gets annoying being blown into the air two or three times a race. Other than that, this game is very funny.

Overall Rating: 8 / 10

Overall, this game is above average. I consider average a seven, because it's rare to get a really stupid game like a two. As I said before, my favorite part is the races themselves, and to be specific, Airship Fortress. But the thing I most dislike is the item graphics. Anyway, this game deserves at least a seven. My final rating is an eight out of ten.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/25/09, Updated 03/24/09

Game Release: Mario Kart DS (US, 11/14/05)