Review by Puffballs

"Mario Kart DS Should Be Played By Everyone With a Nintendo DS"

Need a game that can be challenging and fun? Try Mario Kart DS. The game wasn't perfect, but it certainly was outstanding.

GAMEPLAY 10/10:
This was my first version of Mario Kart I ever played, and it was probably the best. You have the option of playing 12 different characters and on 32 fun tracks. I had a hard time with some of the grand prix (150cc especially) ,and I still haven't managed to unlock level 7 for the missions. Some courses like Rainbow Road, Banshee Boardwalk, and Sky Garden were especially brilliant because they included very creative things like loop-de-loops, and being in mid-air. Things like mud, grass, holes, moles, and lava got in the way on almost all of the courses, which made it harder to complete on higher levels. There are many little things in the game that can make a difference later on. The question blocks were helpful. The red shells came in handy when you wanted to snatch first place, green shells were very un-expectable the invincibility stars were extremely fun to use against other players, and bullets were very handy when you were in last place. Other things in the question blocks were very helpful when the time came. Nintendo was able to make a fun game out of crazy courses and some of our favorite Nintendo characters.

GRAPHICS 10/10:
The Nintendo DS system can sometimes have very bad graphics, but Mario Kart managed to prove that it can look amazing. The colors used made the characters have a 3D appearance. The fact that you can design your own logo is amazing. There are some really nice and simple ones, and complex ones that make you say "That's amazing!"

MUSIC/SOUND 7/10:
There were a few songs that I enjoyed, but they weren't the best songs ever. If you play a long course, then the same music/sound effects can get really annoying. Some of the items you get from a question block can alter the song. The way that the sound was projected was great. Stereo and surround can change your game experience a little bit, which is nice is some cases. I liked some of the sound parts more than others.

MULTIPLAYER 8/10:
I enjoyed playing head-to-head with my friends and family in multiplayer. I didn't like how you could only do 8 courses in it. It would have been nicer if you were able to unlock more courses with your friends, like you can when you are playing by yourself. It was nice that they chose the easiest courses so your opponents can have an easier time learning how the controls work, though. Without multiplayer, there wouldn't have been as much different things to do. Multiplayer is a great feature in Mario Kart DS, but there are a few things I would have liked to fix.

REPLAYABILITY 10/10:
I could easily go back and play this again. The experience is great and to relive it would be almost as fun as it was the first time. Unlocking the characters and other parts in missions was really fun. I think that Mario Kart is a game that can be replayed without almost any trouble.

WI-FI 1/10:
Due to glitches in the game, some people like me were unable to go on wi-fi. This was very frustrating on my part, and I really wish that Nintendo had worked out all of the bugs for wi-fi.

FINAL SCORE:
9/10. This game was very fun and I loved it so much. Some of the things in the game I didn't like could be easily be fixed, while others could not. This is definitely one of the best games I have ever played.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/23/09

Game Release: Mario Kart DS (US, 11/14/05)